Trump mad that U.S. intel briefed lawmakers on Russian military attack on 2020 elections

Well, if nothing else, the word ‘toady’ is coming back in style with a vengeance,
so that’s nice.

10 Likes

There is so much to love about this picture. I think my favorite thing is that Devillary wore gloves, because there’s nothing the scion of ultimate evil likes so much as fighting by the rules with proper safety equipment.

3 Likes

Off-topic, but it makes perfect sense for the devil to wear boxing gloves. Since, if I remember right, the introduction of that “safety” equipment to the sport actually ended up causing more serious long term injuries and death -because it let boxers hit their opponent’s harder and more often in the face and head without breaking their own hands.

3 Likes

I don’t think whatever comes back after Trump is gone will be a snap back to what we thought we had, but something else. Our system depends on checks and balances from co-equal branches of government. Once that is gone, and it most definitely is, I’m just not at all sure it can be pieced back together. Broken may be broken.

You nailed it. She’s very concerned about all these breaches in decorum the Democrats have caused by listening to the intelligence reports and having the nerve to care.

12 Likes

Unfortunately manifestly corrupt is no longer bizarre. Its the new normal.

5 Likes

This is part of the whole “reality has a left-wing bias” thingy.

Trump’s mad Democrats might “weaponize” the news, like they weaponized everything else Trump has done that was illegal or immoral.

It’s not about weaponizing anything, it’s about Trump doing evil and then getting mad when someone sees it.

12 Likes

I’d like this, but I want Hillary to win.

Even Devil Hillary against Hot Jesus.

5 Likes

If the Democrats DON’T weaponize this news, they’re fucking incompetent.

#TrumpIsARussianAsset

d_for_democracy_voting_booth

I am really impressed by Indivisible’s efforts. They’re really committed to getting people onboard for helping win seats in “red” states:

18 Likes

Just when I’m comfortably convinced the US election system is phony democracy because of the electoral college, along come the Russians to make me realize that the US election system can be even worse.

2 Likes

It’s called the Pepperidge Farms Effect

1 Like

Codify all the rules and norms that are being broken to enable this shit into law. Some may need to be adopted as Constitutional amendments in order to keep them from being brushed aside when convenient. Increase formal oversight of the executive branch, esp. Presidency. Formally separate the DOJ from the executive branch. Make removal of cabinet secretaries the same process as confirmation, so that they may be nominated by the President but still operate with some degree of independence. Maybe move that responsibility to the House, so that a captured Senate can’t rubber-stamp everything the President does?

Certainly scale back the power of the executive.

12 Likes

Well, that should settle it, right?

10 Likes

Might as well take their word for it, they’ve proven themselves as completely trustworthy for decades.

8 Likes

Maybe slightly off-topic, but the debate the other night inspired me to jot this down in my notes app:

Joe is way too goddamn old.
Donald Trump is cancer.
Bernie’s just a useless scold.
Donald Trump is cancer.

Pete is inexperienced.
Donald Trump is cancer.
Amy just seems furious.
Donald Trump is cancer.

Liz’s plans won’t get us there.
Donald Trump is cancer.
Mike’s an evil billionaire.
Donald Trump is cancer.

The candidates are terrible.
They’re still the only answer.
Vote blue for the damn republic.
Donald Trump is cancer.

10 Likes

All of this and more are probably essential, and all of it also probably requires fundamentally altering Article II to the point where we may just need to scrap the entire Constitution and start from scratch. Lawfare’s Benjamin Wittes and Susan Hennessey, in their excellent “Unmaking the Presidency,” argue pretty forcefully–and, in my view, correctly–that almost all the powers Trump has been abusing are presidential powers that are at or near the core of the executive authority as originally contemplated.

Separating the DOJ from the executive, for example? We could try to do it with a statute, but there is a really good argument that Trump is actually right that he is actually the chief law-enforcement officer. His primary enumerated job under the constitution is to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed.” The DOJ’s authority to do what the DOJ does flows from that presidential authority.

4 Likes

I had that same thought. “Fuck, he’s right. Damn it.” Stopped clock and all. We have gotten the “the founders were otherworldly geniuses who foresaw all possibilities and accounted for them” stuck in our heads as a national mythology. There were no Hari Seldons there, and there is no such thing as “psychohistory.” There were some pretty intelligent men who did what they did, but to enshrine them as gods is just wrong.

10 Likes
1 Like

I read that as a limitation to the president’s power, not an enhancement. Article II lays out the role of an administrator, not a king.

4 Likes

“Concerned, troubled, and worried, but not independent,” according to the new attack ad from George Conway and his conservative pals over at the anti-Trump super PAC the Lincoln Project.

1 Like

Do people still read Asimov? I haven’t seen reference to the Foundation series in many years

6 Likes