U.S. intelligence officials say Putin was personally involved in U.S. election hack

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/15/u-s-intelligence-officials-sa.html

2 Likes

Third reason: Obama-squashed $500 Million deal with Exxon

13 Likes

Who knew that Putin has mad haxor sk1lls!

8 Likes

Trump’s a formerly commie symp.

It appears inevitable that Trump is going to be our next President. It also appears likely that he stole the election. The thing that needs to be avoided is the probability that the methods used to steal the election will be legitimized and implemented more intensely in future elections. Taking voting rights from those who don’t align with the party in power under the guise of cheating even though there is no hard evidence is likely to happen. The far right has already mentioned suspending civil rights of ill defined “liberals” for the good of the country. Expect increased use of sketchy voting machines as the party in power looks to maintain their power regardless of the voter’s wishes.

12 Likes

Once a KGB ratf*cker…

10 Likes

You may not have been listening, Putin has ALL the sk1llz!

3 Likes

It must bring back such memories for Putin.

I wonder if Evan Macmillan appealed to fans of the espionage novel?

Two former spies fighting it out on the world stage.

5 Likes

At last count, I think 30 faithless electors have come forward. That’s not enough to throw the election, but it’s another blow to Trump’s legitimacy. Also, there may well be another seven who are keeping mum, in which case the Republican House appoints the next President. Unfortunately, that probably means Pence, who is a Dominionist, but not an idiot.

Aside from that, Republicans have been giving Democrats lessons for eight years on how to obstruct and delay the President’s agenda. It’s not much, but it’s what we’ve got.

12 Likes

Wait, personally involved? Right.

Something tells me he didn’t have his hands on the keyboard here. Personally directed/orchestrated/ordered/oversaw, more likely.

7 Likes

26 Likes

Would you really want the election to be decided by the incoming House of Representatives?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m with you. I suspect he they mean he took a personal interest. But if he was personally involved I would be impressed.

I can imagine him at the keyboard muttering, “do I have to do everything round here? I bet Obama has people at the NSA for this”

But it would explain all the meta data. Now we know that Putin’s computer is called “Felix Edmundovich” and his Romanian is crap.

5 Likes

What I want doesn’t matter, that’s what the Constitution mandates. But even a competent Republican might be preferable to what’s coming.

4 Likes

Hear hear! Obstruct, deny, defy, dig in! DEE-fense! DEE-fense!

6 Likes

The House of Representatives could only decide on someone who has electoral college votes. That could happen, but it would be a real scuzzy precedent. (As opposed to a scummy president, I guess.)

That raises an interesting question.

Let’s say that the Hamilton electors vote for someone other than Trump for President, but Pence for VP. Trump gets under 270 votes, but Pence gets 270+.

So, the election of the President goes to the house, but Pence has, at this point, officially been elected Vice-President.

If the House then appoints Pence as president, what happens to the Vice Presidency?

Edit to add: Never mind, can’t happen, unless the Electoral College’s protest votes go to Pence.

From Wikipedia:

In this event, the House of Representatives is limited to choosing from among the three candidates who received the most electoral votes for president. Each state delegation votes en bloc – each delegation having a single vote; the District of Columbia does not receive a vote. A candidate must receive an absolute majority of state delegation votes (i.e., at present, a minimum of 26 votes) in order for that candidate to become the President-elect. Additionally, delegations from at least two-thirds of all the states must be present for voting to take place. The House continues balloting until it elects a president.

1 Like

Putin is too svelte to be a 400 pound hacker.

6 Likes

Maybe they should go all the way to the House.

California only has one vote? This sucks. We should really amend the constitution so this doesn’t happen next time!

Right, and thus a person likely to have at least a somewhat higher level of competence at ramming through a fascist agenda than does Trump.

17 Likes