Trump may detain migrant children at Georgia's Fort Benning military base in a new concentration camp

We need to ensure that history will look back in disgust upon the true villain here - the Republican Party.

6 Likes

I think that deserves it’s own thread

3 Likes

gop-child-catcher

4 Likes

The queue for that would be miles long.

8 Likes

The only line where IBS = VIP

2 Likes

i’m on it.

i’ll offer a link to it soon.

edited to say that i have created a topic for this which you, and anyone else interested, can find here–

1 Like

The survivors will look back on our pollution, overfishing, over consumption of resources. Something like this camp will be forgotten as a triviality, maybe seen as a sign of the much worse refugee crisis that is likely to come.

3 Likes

Except if real “concentration camps”, like the ones in history, will be set up. Let’s not call children detention centers that, just for now?

They fit the definition now. People live in fear of ICE even when they are legally citizens.

Don’t wait for them to become death camps.

19 Likes

and they will be called “Freedom Camps”…

5 Likes

That’s internment.

The term “concentration camp” is very strongly associated with death camps intented to purposefully exterminate certain demografic groups before/during/after WWII.

Let’s not be overly sensationalistic and leave it to the official media. We are better than that here.

It’s still a crime against humanity, as defined by the UN.

There is also a clear distinction made between the Nazi concentration camps (opened in 1933) and the extermination camps (opened in 1940).

What I am hearing from immigrant organisations (and transgender organisations, and POC organisations, and…) is that the official media is downplaying the real story. They don’t lie but they will water down or omit truths that might make Republicans angry.

It looks like the same groups are being targeted as in the 1930s (with the new scapegoat of Muslims and less focus on Jewish people so it doesn’t appear as obvious to centrists). And, yes, transgender poeople were among the first to be target by the Nazis, they had won rights during the Weimar republic that were stripped from them before they were rounded up using lists stolen from Magnus Hirschfeld’s Institut für Sexualwissenschaft.

15 Likes

From @the_borderer’s wiki link:

The American Heritage Dictionary defines the term concentration camp as: “A camp where persons are confined, usually without hearings and typically under harsh conditions, often as a result of their membership in a group the government has identified as dangerous or undesirable.”[7]

How do these camps not fit this definition?

11 Likes

I did not call it a concentration camp. Formally it is a correct term, although as you write, it has become too associated with the nazi death camps to use lightly.

1 Like

It’s in the title of the article.

I did not designate fault ot anyone, just putting my two cents.

Glad you agree on the rest.

Oh no, let’s not be too harsh when describing the way this administration is imprisoning children! We might make people uncomfortable!

12 Likes

Hate to nitpick, but I don’t think that picture in the hed is of any building at Fort Benning.

Another nitpick: using our military installations as concentration camps for kids is odious and a disgrace.

Well, as a person of Japanese descent, I’m not old enough to have been in the camps myself, but the generation before mine was, and they had a lot of stories about the US concentration camps.

This seems pretty fucking similar. Oh yeah, except children weren’t routinely separated from their families. We’ve reserved that little bit of cruelty for this “didn’t learn a fucking thing from history” (or at least didn’t learn the right thing) generation of politicians.

Just because they aren’t the Nazi death camps doesn’t mean they’re not concentration camps.

13 Likes

Thank you for providing some much needed tone policing.

9 Likes

It breaks my heart that this comment only has 7 likes…

8 Likes