Trump, on why coronavirus task force is ending now: 'It'll be a flame, and we'll put the flame out.' (?)

9 Likes

I believe him.

38 Likes
Will some people be badly affected die?
FTFY
4 Likes
1 Like

Oh I get it. The task force started with the virus, so if you get rid of the task force the virus goes away. Brilliant!

19 Likes

Ah, drats. That’s right. Rakes. I knew I should have double checked. What am I going to do with all these brooms? Clean up, I guess.

7 Likes

My entire country (Australia) was flames at the start of the year. They were only put out by shutting up and listening to experts, and accepting there would be an inevitable economic loss.

20 Likes

His target audience doesn’t really pay attention to bothersome things such as numbers.

14 Likes

16 Likes

tumblr_lih56y2uhQ1qd42rao1_500

12 Likes

As well as support the 2nd Amendment by allowing militia types to open carry rifles in the White House, just like he approved of in Michigan.

14 Likes

I’m no Trump fan, but what do people think we should do, if not slowly start to re-open the country, with massive changes in our habits of course? How long do you think we should stay quarantined?

1 Like

Stay? You haven’t started yet.

The US has so far only had patchy and incomplete coverage. As far as I can tell, at no point has the whole country been under a simultaneous and equivalent lockdown, coupled with strict control of flow across the border so that fresh zombies aren’t constantly being introduced into the community.

Once you get that sorted, then we can start talking about how long it needs to be.

(hint: the answer is two cycles/four weeks)

23 Likes

Everyone I know here in San Francisco has been fully sheltering in place for well over a month now. The whole city is shut down. The streets are almost empty. Even the crackheads in my neighborhood are taking a break.

Of course there’s exceptions in America as a whole, as there are everywhere in the world. And honestly I’m wondering what difference another month will make, unless we’re waiting for something specific like fully available testing to be rolled out, which doesn’t seem likely in a month.

And no one, including Trump, is suggesting going back to business as usual. He’s talking about a careful easing (not elimination) of sheltering. With social distancing, mask wearing, no large gatherings, carefully monitoring infection rates, etc.

Even in areas where the response was early and restrictive, there have been a significant minority of people who have never done one damn thing to reduce the spread. I’m talking about people who have never social distanced, never worn a mask, and have kept doing everything exactly how they were before the pandemic. And that’s why the US has the highest number of deaths and cases. Because even where local leaders made up for the criminally negligent response of the federal government, there have been people who have acted with careless disregard for their neighbors.

20 Likes

Doesn’t help you at all if people start driving in from places where they have not been in lockdown.

15 Likes

No argument there, but those people aren’t going to start quarantine now anyway.

So again… what difference will another month make?

And it bears repeating: no one including Trump is advocating returning to business as usual pre COVID-19.

You just answered your own question.

5 Likes

Well possibly nothing. The only thing which seems to work is a landmass wide lockdown for a couple of months. Pretty much impossible if you are in the Americas or Eurasia.

3 Likes

take a look at this graph, it’s the us cases with greater nyc separated out

isolation works. if local leaders are able to avoid the worst of the trump administration’s machinations.

a month of taking things seriously in georgia and florida could save a lot of lives. ( black and brown lives especially. )

people seem to want to give up just because the president is incompetent. yeah sure, he’s causing everyone to work extra hard, and he’s already cost a lot of lives, that doesn’t mean we should give up and let him do whatever.

( though, generally that does seem to be the plan in congress )

24 Likes