Trump ordered to pay million-dollar fine for filing frivolous Hillary Clinton lawsuit

It’s $10,000 for the fine, plus $927,989.30 in legal fees.

7 Likes

Not this fine, but I think Onion has the right of it.

17 Likes

If only he was enjoined from being a litigant in any lawsuit until he’s paid this money.

6 Likes

This is brilliant … to get out of paying (they are "jointly and several,ly liable, so if one doesn’t pay, the other one has to) ALL Trump has to do is prove he’s not rich enough/.

I believe the monetary sanctions imposed here are well within Plaintiff and Plaintiff’s lawyer ability to pay, and therefore I have not thought it necessary to conduct an intrusive inquiry into their finances. However, should Plaintiff or Plaintiff’s lawyer (and law firm) believe that the amount would seriously jeopardize their financial status, see, e.g., Baker v Alderman, 158 F. 3d 516 (11th Cir. 1998), that individual or firm should file within ten (10) days of this Order, under seal, a verified statement of net worth which includes assets and liabilities. In the event of such a filing, the obligation of that individual or law firm will be tolled until further order of the Court.

5 Likes

Shame it has to be under seal.

5 Likes

What’s really sad is that this isn’t too far from the truth. They’re going to do exactly that.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.