Trump cronies who filed lawsuits falsely claiming election fraud must pay their targets' legal fees

Originally published at: Trump cronies who filed lawsuits falsely claiming election fraud must pay their targets' legal fees | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Hit 'em in the pocketbook. It’s the only thing their central nervous systems are connected to.

37 Likes

What do the legal fees amount to? Does it include the actual cost of the defense lawyers? Are there typically court fees that a defendant in a lawsuit is expected to pay if they are found innocent?

5 Likes

As much as I hope the fines are as high as possible, I’m satisfied knowing that these Mammon-worshipping death cultists will resent every thin dime of these penalties.

21 Likes

“It’s not the principle, it’s the principal of the thing that wounds me so! FREEDOM! Trump promised to pay my legal bills but he’s not taking my calls now so please visit my gofundme page FREEEEEEEEEDOM isn’t free !!!”

25 Likes

Given that they threw the whole pot of spaghetti at the wall, instead of one or two strands, I hope it’s a lot.

22 Likes

Yes!

Now on to Rule 11 sanctions against these clowns and… disbarment?

(It’s fun to dream)

13 Likes

It’s not out of question. One could make a strong case that these actions were without merit and egregious (because they were). There isn’t any money in pressing a disbarment case, so the motivation is less, but it still needs to be done.

12 Likes

Where is the Rudy disbarment process at?

edit: Tried to look it up. The latest I can tell is that Rudy was to give a request for a post suspension hearing within 20 days of June 24. I can’t find any news of whether he did so or not. It’s kind of looking like the “temporary” suspension is really more of a permanent disbarment.

10 Likes

I feel no delight in the metaphorical burning and salting of their financial fortunes.

None at all.

Girl Fire GIF by MOODMAN

18 Likes

Penalizing lawyers for bringing specious lawsuits is a start. I would also like to see the promoters of baseless conspiracies in the conservative media penalized.

18 Likes
3 Likes

Checks out

10 Likes

Actually the magistrate did award sanctions under Rule 11, as well as inherent powers, and 28 USC § 1927. Some caveats:

• It appears the only monetary sanctions would be awarded to the three private entities (Facebook, Dominion, and CTCL) who filed motions to dismiss.

• The award would be limited to the fees incurred in preparing the motions to dismiss.

• The court will limit the hourly rates to Colorado levels, rather than NY levels.

• The plaintiffs’ lawyers will surely appeal, and may also ask the District Court judge to take a second look.

That said, Facebook does not skimp on counsel. I could see each defendant being awarded $20K to $25K, which would take a significant bite out of the $95K the lawyers raised, or claimed they raised. Frankly, they’re pikers compared to the fundraising machine in Arizona.

6 Likes

That’s gonna get lost without a flanged base

8 Likes

Flatworms are better company.

9 Likes

Good info. Thanks!

1 Like

And you know that not a dime is going to come from the $200M (so far) con the Orange Nightmare is running on his marks.

4 Likes

Not only them, but also the various politicos at all levels that continue to spew these lies.
Too bad no one in the MSM seems willing to call them out & call them liars to their face.
It ain’t slander if it’s true…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.