Trump Org pressures Embassy of Kuwait to move event from Four Seasons to Trump’s D.C. hotel

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/20/trump-org-pressures-embassy-of.html

7 Likes

From day 1.

26 Likes

12 Likes

The key phrase is “without the consent”. He just needs the Republican controlled congress to say it’s okay.

19 Likes
"...after members of the Trump Organization pressured the ambassador..."

And finding those people, specifically, is probably getting harder to do every day. Either they’re trumpian enough that they’ll never say anything, or they’re being “made aware” that they shouldn’t ever say anything.

"Ivanka, Eric, and Donald Jr., meanwhile, have all been featured in public transition events. The transition team handed out a photo of Ivanka meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and a summit with a group of top American tech leaders held last week featured all three Trump children perched at the head of the table.

5 Likes

Don’t blame me, I voted for Senator Charles Palantine.

But anyway, someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets. So we got that going for us.

8 Likes

I thought his first name was Sheev.

6 Likes

Ha! I was, literally, making the same joke when I saw yours.

Well played.

2 Likes

Hush. We want him to keep doing this. It doesn’t count until he holds office.

Given that legally he won’t be able to own the Washington hotel - and he’ll have 30 days to get rid of it, once he takes office - this is going to be interesting.

5 Likes

This?

I’m sure that will just get ignored too.

11 Likes

There’s specifically a part of the lease agreement itself that explicitly forbids it. The GSA has already given him 30 days from taking office to remedy the situation. So even if he does appoint a new head of the GSA, he’s still going to be in violation (even if they don’t enforce it) and a new head that didn’t take him to task would be obviously in the wrong. So… interesting.

3 Likes

So is this one of those emoluments I keep hearing about?

1 Like

That would be a tall order. The intent behind “without the consent of Congress” is to allow for legislation like the current Foreign Gifts and Decorations Act, which is general statutory authorization laying out the exceptions where the monetary value is low enough, or it’s a military decoration from some allied force, or etc., etc.

As far as I can tell there hasn’t been a case of a private bill giving consent since that Act passed in 1966. It happened back in 1914 when the Sultan of Turkey gave some colonel a medal.

Far more likely is that the Republican Congress will turn a blind eye and allow illegality, rather that stick its neck out to give legal cover. The possibility of anybody, besides Congress, having the necessary standing in court is minimal.

3 Likes

9 Likes

what you guys thought when he said Kuwait didn’t pay for 1991 he meant the USA treasury ?

we paid to the USA treasury but he wasn’t paid , and that what he was asking for and now because you guys voted him in we have to pay him

4 Likes

Nothing will probably happen. Maybe the Republican party will use it as a lever to keep Trump in line.

2 Likes

nothing to see here. move along please.

5 Likes

Off topic: This article loaded with this widget called rune:

What is this, Boing Boing? @Falcor, can you provide input?

3 Likes

@beschizza, @codinghorror?

ETA: It’s showing up on other articles as well.