Trump pal Carl Icahn dumped $30 million of stock in a steel-dependent company right before tariff announcement

3 Likes

So now we have a trade war, a renewed cold war, wars in the middle east, and next…
:bomb: :boom: :mushroom: :cloud: :scream::skull_and_crossbones:

6 Likes

There’s a WaPo article floating around on Facebook that still has the original text in the Description field:

4 Likes

Guantanamo is still open…

2 Likes

That’s interesting but, the Russians have already profitted:

All it took was pulling the bullshit trump lever.

“In case you were wondering why three out of the nine companies attending President Donald Trump’s metal-tariff announcement this week were foreign, this map has the answer.”

“Steel plants owned by non-American companies such as ArcelorMittal account for a large chunk of total U.S. production, with the Luxembourg-based company’s plants alone representing about 16 percent, according to Bloomberg Intelligence.”

“Other foreign companies operating in the U.S. market include Moscow-based Evraz Plc, whose executives attended the White House event on Thursday, as well as Brazil’s Gerdau SA, whose shares rallied along with homegrown producers U.S. Steel Corp. and Nucor Corp.”

-Bloomberg

Everybody knows he makes decisions based on the last person listened too. Especially the Russians.

3 Likes

I recall there being speculation that such a move was coming soon, I recall this being reported on NPR the day before 45 made the announcement. So while there doesn’t appear to have been a full-on “the president is going to announce steel and aluminum tariffs” announcement, clearly the word was already spreading around the beltway that something was afoot. Knowing the level of stupidity at which the present administration operates, it’s entirely possible that 45 called up uncle Carl and told him. They’re dumb enough to do that without thinking it through. It’s also possible that 45 called Carl to “ask his opinion”, without specifically saying that it would be done or not done. I expect that’s the excuse that will be put forth. It’s bullshit, but it’s safe Washington bullshit. And these clowns traffic in that.

4 Likes

I can smell that bullshit from here.

2 Likes

If we knew who else Trump was in contact with, we could see if there was a pattern. But I suspect it was a matter of having “discussions” with Icahn, where it became clear how Trump was going to go - either because he had already made up his mind, or Icahn convinced him… But knowing Trump, he’s a guy who asks for the opinions of those around him - his “friends” and Mar-a-Largo members - because he wants to know how a particular position will go over, and since he very much wants to be popular, he consistently adopts that position.

3 Likes

So what I don’t understand is doesn’t this move hurt us manafacturing? Like cars? Or has he given up on that industry?

3 Likes

I think you just precogged how the next actual war starts.

2 Likes

Trump and his trade delegation should all go and wait on the lava planet. They’ll be safe there.

2 Likes

The emoji virus?

1 Like

O[quote=“bookworm1398, post:29, topic:116637, full:true”]
So what I don’t understand is doesn’t this move hurt us manafacturing? Like cars? Or has he given up on that industry?
[/quote]

I’m sure the whole thing was well thought out by this whip smart President.

6 Likes

Yeah, he’ll be angry and unglued over how badly the trade war is going…

3 Likes

Nice, from the EU. Smart.

And there was Donald thinking he’s clever.

2 Likes

A nice reminder that Machiavelli was, in fact, from Italy. :slight_smile: Grade-A politicking, right there.

3 Likes

Crony? Check.
Capitalist? Check.

All Icahn had to do was to read the news. The tariffs were reported weeks before they were imposes. This article appeared a week before he sold his shares.

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.