Trump plays stupid to judge: He didn't know overturning election was a crime

See, it wouldn’t take me that long to say, ‘What? No, fuck you, are you stupid?’ but then, I didn’t go to law school :grin:

18 Likes

The judge has to get a clerk to write up a page of legalese to say that much in slightly nicer language.

23 Likes

True, true.

6 Likes

Hopefully not nicer, just something that someone with a higher-than-8th grade reading level will need to interpret for Trump.

5 Likes

Jeebus, this guy’s delay tactics are getting more and more pathetic.

Next he’ll try “I’m not guilty ‘coz I was strung out on pain killers and didn’t know what I was doing.”

6 Likes

Again with the Steve Martin defense…

12 Likes

Trump not knowing what he was doing was illegal reminds me of what they used to say about Reagan and Iran-Contra: if he knew, he was guilty, and if he didn’t know, he was incompetent. In either case, Trump isn’t fit to be President (again).

19 Likes

That long?
giphy

5 Likes

W. E. B. DuBois wrote something similar about Robert E. Lee.

Either he knew what slavery meant when he helped maim and murder thousands in its defense, or he did not. If he did not he was a fool. If he did, Robert Lee was a traitor and a rebel – not indeed to his country, but to humanity and humanity’s God.

28 Likes

“Our country has a longstanding tradition of forceful political advocacy regarding widespread allegations of fraud and irregularities in a long list of Presidential elections throughout our history…”

Do Hair Furor’s attorneys provide this long list of Presidential elections characterized by widespread allegations of fraud and irregularities? I don’t think the allegations of fraud and irregularities in the 2020 elections were actually widespread. The allegations pretty much came from the same couple of sources; those being Drunkle Rudy and “No Reasonable Person Would Believe What I Say” probationer cum “lawyer” Sydney Powell.

10 Likes

One could almost believe that Trump’s so-called lawyers are actually focused now on generating “helpful” ideas for the SCOTUS conservatives to mull over and play a bit of jazz with in deciding for Trump. Unfortunately for Trump, his chimps couldn’t in a billion years type up and stumble onto the masterful solution that Alito et al could flog as a way to keep Trump on the ballots.

7 Likes

The tl;dr will be in the expression.

paperchase_aburnedandhairyhand_FC_1_470x264_071320160532

9 Likes

YES! I’ve said the same thing. All he has to say is, “oh, I didn’t know you couldn’t do that.” case dismissed
when-they-say-the-title-of-the-movie-in-the-movie

3 Likes

I think it’s safe to say these are all delaying tactics to push any consequences beyond the election…?

AFAF

823538d6-6e78-4c10-adf4-a1452604730f_text

5 Likes

Given that I think most US schools teach the basics of the government and elections pretty early, I think this attempted defense shows that neither Trump nor his lawyers are smarter than a fifth grader.

9 Likes

That’s a hell of a euphemism.

IANAL but I did take some law classes. I remember learning pretty early on that ignorance isn’t a viable defense in most cases, especially when conduct is something any reasonable person can tell probably isn’t strictly above board. Surely a stable genius like Trump would know this, or maybe this is just another admission that he is not smart at all.

9 Likes

I think you just have to say it in Latin and you’re good.

Coitus te ipsum should cover it.

5 Likes

Yes, if you don’t know it’s not an excuse. :thinking:

6 Likes

15 Likes

Two things:
1.) Lack of knowledge does not protect from punishment.
2.) Let´s assume for a moment he didn´t knew that, not knowing something as crucial as this disqualifies him from any public office.

9 Likes