Trump raid affidavit will be released today

Fallontonight GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

4 Likes

In possibly-related news:

11 Likes

A quick note about the affidavit: “HUMINT” is human gathered intelligence i.e. having physical spies gathering up shit in person with great personal physical risk.

Not exactly family & personal mementos as he was trying to assert. Unless he tried to claim that something like Iranian nuclear secrets or the Kim family’s pooping habits are important keepsakes to him.

9 Likes

H■’s F■■■■d

8 Likes

Yep!

12 Likes

3 Likes

When Dugin’s daughter was killed, I found this article penned by by her on Katehon

absolute balderdash, of course, but I guess they play both sides of this conspiracy theory,

5 Likes

Basically, it’s like Trump had a copy of the “NOC List” that Tom Cruise spent half of the first Mission: Impossible movie trying to steal from the CIA.

But instead of putting it in an ultra-secure location where a super-spy would have to silently repel down through the air ducts and motion sensors to reach it, Trump left it in a cardboard box behind a door that wasn’t even securely locked in a golf club frequented by Russian and Chinese spies.

14 Likes

This is a pretty good explainer.

5 Likes

I think BI is rereporting. You can read their source here.

12 Likes
8 Likes

Of course it is. There were hundreds of pages of secret documents — some with the highest levels of classification — stored insecurely in a civilian’s basement. There’s no way to audit who has viewed these documents or how they were handled because it’s impossible to have a chain of custody. Documents with SCI classification are never to leave a specially equipped facility and there were dozens sitting in Trump’s basement per the affidavit (later confirmed by the seizure inventory).

If you or me accidentally took a single page of a classified document home with us, we’d be sitting in a federal prison for a long time once it was discovered. Trump not only took home hundreds of pages of classified documents — some which were TS/SCI — but after he was told to do something to ensure they were better secured, he basically did nothing.

Mar-a-Lago is not Fort Knox, it’s a luxury resort. It may not be open to the public, but it’s plenty porous. There’s hundreds of staff going in and out at any time, and there’s also residents, members, and their guests always lurking. Trump’s own personal residence is often open to guests. Michael Moore of all people had no problem getting into Trump’s residence when filming Fahrenheit 11/9. Plenty of foreign spies have been pictured there as well. It’s far from a safe place to store secret documents — especially ones controlled as SI, or worse HCS, which you definitely don’t want in the hands of foreign spies.

These things were basically stored in boxes in his basement. They were also intermingled with non-secret documents. Has anybody seen these documents who wasn’t supposed to? Are any missing? Altered? Photocopied and provided to foreign governments? Who knows? They were also mixed with non-secret documents which is also a no-no. (Someone’s going to have a hell of a time disentangling all this.)

20 Likes

Non-paywalled.

Last year, a top-secret memo sent to every C.I.A. station around the world warned about troubling numbers of informants being captured or killed, a stark reminder of how important human source networks are to the basic functions of the spy agency.

13 Likes

That list was from the docs 45 returned. The nuke docs were in the documents the FBI siezed as a result of the warrant resulting from this affadavit.

16 Likes

Thank you for the notes, helps me understand what is going on.

Would be great if the guy was finally put in his place after decades of this type of behavior.

2 Likes

In the end, they’re going to have to search all his properties. If this was his only stash, then he probably would have protected “his documents” better.

5 Likes

i don’t think that’s being fair to luxury resorts.

10 Likes

The identity of a spy within a rival country’s nuclear program might well be a more closely guided secret than the information that he can provide. It’s still nuclear related, but it could be information on shipping schedules rather than bomb design.

2 Likes

Sorry, I was missing the scare quotes around “luxury”.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

8 Likes
14 Likes