Trump repeats claim that impeaching him will lead to civil war

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/30/trump-repeats-claim-that-impea.html

12 Likes

it might lead to civil unrest. his supporters cantain a large fraction of those who own the most firearms.

18 Likes

“I’m not threatening you, I’m just stating facts here”

41 Likes

such a statesman. so subtle.

26 Likes

“threat” or “call to arms”, though?

10 Likes
11 Likes

Doubt Trump knew the historical context, but Trump, or an underling, liked the phrase:

21 Likes

Seems like stochastic terrorism to me. Maybe he should stay at Guantanamo Bay for a few decades while he awaits trial.

36 Likes

“Civil War like fracture” is not civil war.

And he’s correct. Except the fracture is already there, and the Republicans have been waging thier side of the war in government with vigor, ignoring law and decency.

37 Likes

Impeachment can’t happen fast enough…

26 Likes

A handful of Trumplings are certainly capable of shooting up kindergartens etc. But those people are empirically angrier and more violent with him as president, so that’s not a reason to fear holding him accountable.

But most of his supporters are more like, they’ll defend him to the death or until their stories come on, whichever comes first. Their beliefs are fanatical but lightly held. That’s what riles me when folks take the screeching on Fox News and talk radio so seriously: that hysteria is the opposite of how people with actual grievances talk. You don’t have to yell if you’re saying police killed your baby; you yell because that’s the only way for your petty bullshit resentments to get the same amount of attention.

The idea that these people would give up their comfort and privilege to spend 10 years in an Appalachian guerilla camp shitting in a ditch on behalf of… whatever Fox News stands for… is not something I would worry about. At all.

50 Likes

Forget Barney the Dinosaur as torture. Let’s play Obama’s speeches all day long.

16 Likes

Exactly this. Their “civil war” will be fought with pro-Trump ultra-patriotic T-shirts worn to the state fair and bumper stickers on their Ford F-150, not with actual violence.

30 Likes

Sounds like a thinly-veiled call-to-arms for his supporters, to me. It’s like his “You know what we used to do with spies…?” comment about the whistleblower, and now the dregs of 4Chan are eagerly working hard to discover and out the identity of the whistleblower.

The guy may be an idiot, but you can bet he is very aware of how slavishly his supporters hang on his every word, and exist to follow their dear leader.

15 Likes

At least one republican is pushing back on trump’s message:

44 Likes

for four decades

27 Likes

Warning, or wishful thinking :grey_question:

6 Likes

As usual, the Orange Skull is to busy stroking his own ego to understand that you don’t foment violence amongst the Know-Nothing 27% by trying to preserve the Union under one leader.

A new civil war would be about carving out and defending enclaves where white men could do what they want without the interference of pesky Constitutional limitations (like the Establishment Clause) or allowances (like the 14th and 19th Amendments) and where they can live free of PoC and the influence of rootless cosmopolitans. They don’t need the whole country for that.

18 Likes

A decent person would step down to preclude such an outcome.

22 Likes

I was a little worried about a US civil war. Now that Trump says there is going to be one, I can rest easy knowing it can’t be true.

Jokes about fools saying the sun is going to come up tomorrow aside, the US already has an Amnesty International travel advisory against it because of domestic terrorism carried out to a significant extent by “Trump” supporters (that is, white supremacists and misogynists).

I expect an increase in domestic terrorism when Trump leaves office, either through impeachment or through a vote. But I also think the pressure that will lead to that violence is building over time, and the sooner Trump is gone the less damaging.

Every GOP lawmaker who stands up to Trump, even after vocally or tacitly supporting Trump and Trumpism for years, is doing the right thing. So I’m going to refrain from saying what I think of a person who draws the line here and not at Charlottesville or at the escalator speech.

39 Likes