Trump repeats claim that impeaching him will lead to civil war

Wasn’t it Philadelphia that bombed a neighborhood to silence armed black resistance?

8 Likes

You mean MOVE?

@Mindysan33 had it covered, up thread.

But yeah, armed resistance/insurrections don’t tend to work out too well for POC in the US of A…

13 Likes

a moderate is somebody you disagree with slightly

an extremist is somebody you disagree with a lot

whether X ∈ { extremists } depends on who is observing X and how they feel about it that day

11 Likes

So do you think violence against a government should be a last resort?

Or violence against a government should never be an option?

Or something else?

During the elections he threatened if he doesnt win, it due to electronic voting interference.

How much does this guy actually owe to sell out the American people to cover his debts?

1 Like

That depends entirely on what you’re trying to achieve.

If you want to lazily cosplay being a soldier, and die a stupid and pointless death, then; yes, absolutely. Violence against the government is the thing you should definitely be doing.

4 Likes

I live in a place in the South (also where I lived through high school), where there is a fundamentalist church on every corner. The people gather every Wednesday might, every Saturday, every Sunday morning and every Sunday night. They have revival meetings in big circus tents in farmers’ fields, right down the road from me. They are often marginally educated, are not readers, are watchers of the “truth” that they see on Fox News, and, by choice and temperament, nowhere else. They do not hold passports. They have never strayed from their immediate surroundings. They fly the Confederate battle flag from their porches, and put special mounts in the beds of their pickup trucks to stream giant Confederate flags behind them on the highway. One of my neighbors has a combination half Old Glory/ half Confederate flag hanging on his porch.

To these people, Trump really is The Chosen One, and when they say Chosen One, they mean that he is the person who can deliver them from the supposed horrors of a world riven with abortions and equivalence of races and tolerance of homosexuals and Jews and Mexicans and Indians and all other “mud people” - in other words, a world that has never existed in any place other than the memories and desires of their ancestors for a nation of Norwegian, German, and Swedish immigrants.

When the Chosen One is openly threatened, regardless of facts pointing out his illegal, dastardly, inhumane, and morally bankrupt behavior, they react without consideration of any larger concerns other than the aforementioned prejudices. They all own guns. They all drink when not in church. Crossing them in any way is a dangerous gambit.

Even in the nearby city of 400,000, the tenor is different, but the attitude is the same: it doesn’t matter what Trump does or says. He is their President, and all hail the Great Savior and Deliverer.

I keep my head down and my hair short. I put no bumper stickers on my car. I put up with weekly solicitations from various self-styled Christian evangelists that come to my door and leave flyers in my mailbox. I’m very polite to them though I find what they are selling repugnant. My profile is as low as it can get and still be functional. I left here for college and swore I’d never come back. Well, life intervenes, doesn’t it? I am here now because my 91 year old mother (who is a Fox News watching Trumpian) needs watching until she shuffles off this mortal coil. When she is gone, I am OUTTA HERE and never coming back.

So I know, first hand, what these people are capable of. I’ve seen families burned out of their homes for being Black. I’ve seen the police target Mexicans and Blacks for extinction. It happens here every damned day.

If you live among them, as well, and don’t see this powder keg, all I can say to you is good luck, sister. I’ll be thinking of you when the shit hits the fan.

11 Likes

I am not saying that there’s definitely 100% going to be more violence. I say more, because to outside eyes, the war has already started. I wasn’t being hyperbolic, comparing it to the Troubles, if it happens. But you’ve already got Proud Boys marching in the streets in something that is far more reminiscent of the Orange Order parades than protests. MAGA chucklefucks are shooting up churches and synagogues and bars and frigging garlic festivals. High School football games. You’ve got militias running around, getting validated by the actual authorities (CBP), police that look more like paramilitaries, citizens being grabbed off the street…

Honestly, if a civil war does break out down there, it’ll be hard for anybody to know the difference.

10 Likes

What are you trying to achieve?

1 Like

I’m not sure why you don’t understand that you are preaching to the choir about the mentality you’re dealing with. I’m Black, and regardless to where I may live now, I’m from the fucking “bible belt.” I also know first hand what ignorant bigots are capable of.

And I still refuse to live in fear of what they “will” do, when I’ve already been living my whole life enduring what they have always done.

I may be a woman of color, but I do not believe that “we are all children of god,” and I am not your sister.

You expect the worst, then that’s probably exactly what you’ll get; but “thinking of me” will be be a waste of your time, regardless.

You have yourself a good night now.

I know. Sadly, that’s the sort of fuckery I’m expecting, if it comes to pass; hot-spots of local terrorism, not an organized front of coordinated efforts by 45’s minions.

17 Likes

You just sounded angry with me, is all, but it was obviously not directed at me personally. I didn’t know you were Black, or I wouldn’t have called you sister. I apologize for that. So I’m going to stop digging this hole now and shut the fuck up.

9 Likes

Hatred gets people off their asses and out tom vote on election day.

2 Likes

Jack Dorsey once again shows his ideological priorities.

11 Likes

Just another pile of shit in the barn…

16 Likes

Syria was a dictatorship which was always kept together by relative prosperity, terror, genocide and strong international allies. When one part of that equation fell (economic downturn due to drought), the rest just unraveled. A large part of the Syrian civil war is really the Arab/Iran cold war playing out through proxies. You have entire military units becoming warlords, then opportunists like ISIS taking up territory.

You aren’t going to see an “armed rebellion” for Trump other than a few attempts at extortion and mass murders by some rando miscreants. Because it still comes down to the fact that nobody is willing to die (or take real risks) for the guy. They like being bullies and abusers, they don’t hold up when people fight back.

7 Likes

So you’re not suggesting it as a tactic, you just wanted people to know it can be sometimes effective as a tactic.

I think that’s a distinction without difference.

You actually suggested armed protesting was effective at preventing protestors from being tear-gassed and kettled, which is:

1. Untrue.
  2. Likely to get people hurt or killed if they listen to your irresponsible take on it.
8 Likes

“Soldier” is too generous a description. The ignorant fools who think the Framers bunged in the Second Amendment as the carefully crafted Constitution’s “suicide clause” really want to cosplay the pulp action heroes they saw in comic books and movies. It would be pathetic if these wannabes weren’t fondling deadly weapons and calling for firearms as the solution to all problems.

8 Likes

You’re correct on both counts.

I am angry; enraged, in fact, far too much of the time lately… but it has nothing to do with you personally.

My bad if it came off that way.

I genuinely hope shit doesn’t end up hitting the proverbial fan the way so many of us fear; but if it does, good luck, godspeed and may you live to see the dawn.

17 Likes

Unfortunately for us, your statement is true. We are trained to be peaceful and to prevent or avoid conflict, because it is in our nature to get along. But a thick stripe of this country, somewhere around 20 to 30% is wired for conflict. They eat it up and it motivates them. I don’t have any answers. It just fuckin sucks.

You as well, and I am on your side. Our side. Peacefulness and love must win.

6 Likes

Right now? Well, you just have to ask yourself what happens after yet another young black man is shot for no reason?

True, but there is pushback, too and the structure will maintain itself until it is actively changed by those on the inside or by pressure from the outside. That means not just activist groups, but greater pressure from people in power, which means we have to put more people in power who will push for accountability and change. The fact remains that a cop is far more likely to get off for shooting an unarmed black man still today.

But there are times when that does in fact work. Let’s not forget that most of the communist regimes were brought down by popular pressure, not bloody revolutions. It’s more about numbers than anything else. Bloody revolutions can bring about positive change, too, but not always and the results tend to be far more uneven.

So was his racism, though, an ideology not shared by the Branch Davidians.

But that is untrue. WE don’t want a civil war, for sure. Others very much do want a civil war, for one at least some of Trump’s core supporters, especially the hardline white supremacist. They are very eager to start a conflict that will allow them to “correct” what they see as an injustice of the Civil War. Trump is doing all he can to rile them up enough to make some serious violence happen. We need to take this seriously at the end of the day.

Maybe, but he’s also laid the ground work for an election being seen as entirely illegitimate. He’s seriously fucking with the system that has us at a very dangerous point. No one HERE is advocating for civil war, but for perfectly legal, constitutional processes aimed at a openly corrupt administration. He’s doing serious damage to our system and we must ensure that the processes that we’ve created do their job and root this kind of corruption out, or our experiment is done and over with.

Yes. Ideally. Yes. This is not 1848 and marx isn’t waving around the communist manifesto. We have nearly 220 years of actual revolutions to pull from to help us understand what possible consequences could be of an armed revolt. It’s a mixed bag to be sure, but we do know that violence has unintended consequences and more unpredictable outcomes. At this point, we still need to use the legal mechanisms in front of us to deal with this problem.

If we like the system we live under and wish to strengthen it and ensure that it’s around for our kids and grandkids, we need to lean into legal means to get this done. If that means impeachment of a corrupt government, that’s what it should be.

17 Likes