Trump 'revealed highly classified information' to Russians during White House visit after firing FBI's Comey

The Washington Post article explicitly states

For almost anyone in government, discussing such matters with an adversary would be illegal. As president, Trump has broad authority to declassify government secrets, making it unlikely that his disclosures broke the law.

So yes, WaPo is perfectly up-front that the President’s staggering breach of protocol, precedent, and common sense may not have technically constituted a breach of the law. That doesn’t mean it’s not an impeachable offense though. If nothing else this demonstrates a staggering lack of judgement which could quite likely sever intelligence operations with our allies and even get field agents killed.

29 Likes

“While the specific cover is fake, it is true there was a period in the ’70s when people were predicting an ice age,” the official insisted.

that is truly frightening.

it still baffles me that the president – any president – would read news magazines and watch cable tv. here’s to hoping he’ll love the law and order mini-series where he gets dragged off to jail.

it fascinates me that a president can do this by fiat and without prior notice. it seems obama could have made hrc’s email woes vanish by simply saying all her emails were automatically declassified.

5 Likes

And how do you think the GOP would have responded had he done that?

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad. There are many of us out there.

6 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Obama 2017!

I can´t get used to it.
How?
How is he so stupid?
So inapologetic, obcenely, painfully stupid?
How does he even function?
He is so spectacular stupid that he shouldn´t be able to talk and breathe at the same time!
This shit right here wil cost lives. Innocent lives Dead just because this imbecile had to dickwave in front of his overlords.
How long will this madness go on?

10 Likes

Now I’m picturing a member of the Russian delegation saying, in Russian, something like: “Engaging sub-program 7-1-5-7” and Drumph going blank-eyed and starting to babble in Russian with a monotone voice.

3 Likes

Yes. I’ve been having trouble keeping in mind the big picture, Trump is both a cause of bad things happening and a symptom of the huge amount of bad in our political system right now. Thirty years of having roughly half of every political resource focused on breaking our political system has taken a serious toll. Getting Trump out of office as soon as possible is necessary but having a working democracy is going to take a lot more than President Pence. I’m not sure revolution is necessary or possible but having a working government is going to take years and years of turning back the damage that has been done. I think the majority of people in the US want to live in a democracy but it’s to take a lot more work by a lot more people than have been involved politically in recent years to turn around the well-organized campaigns of various kinds to break our government. We are going to be stuck with radically conservative judges, broken international systems, iffy education/housing/healthcare, as well as ignorant highly motivated anti-government activists for . . . years and years and years, even with Trump out of office and more Dems winning elections. I find Trump scary for a range of reasons but, sadly, I’m not sure that removing him from office will fix much.

4 Likes

Well, those dumbed-down one-page security briefings he gets? He’s not even reading those

10 Likes

In my experience, I’ve never seen “Red Scare” used without an article in front, usually “the.” Also, your use of “so many” is worth noting. This would be ok for exaggerated informal speech, but in this situation I think that eliminating “so” would be a good idea. “So many” would be better used to show cause and effect. For example, there were so many ________, that ______ resulted.

Finally, “Leftist creative Hollywood and media persons” is clunky. While “persons” is technically acceptable, we usually say “people.” It’s probably better to simply delete the word and move “Leftist” to the end. “Creative Hollywood (and other media) Leftists” flows a bit better I think, although personally, I would do without the parenthetical.

Hope this helps, Comrade.

18 Likes

#Blabbergate

5 Likes

You’re in luck!

6 Likes

Given she died in 2008, that’s probably a good thing.

8 Likes

I can’t wait to hear ⊥rumps cover of this

2 Likes

“Why don’t you pass the time by playing solitaire?”

1 Like

Because “treason” is extremely tightly defined in the US constitution, and this doesn’t qualify. Trump should be impeached, then tried in a federal court and thrown into jail, if you ask me, but he hasn’t committed treason.

Importantly, it’s something that would get anyone else in massive trouble instantly. We’re talking about “lose your security clearance and access, lose your job, possibly lose your liberty” kind of trouble.

When the President does it, it’s not technically illegal, but it’s still a hideous breach of security, one that makes even the exaggerated Republican alt-universe fantasy of Clinton’s e-mails pale into insignificance.

6 Likes

Here it is: 000000000

Russians: hey, our military makes us do that too!

2 Likes

Zombie Suzanne Pleshette is bigly preferable to a Trump presidency.

7 Likes

There will be a meeting happening soon:

“Listen, Don, this whole ‘being president thing’ has really started to be a drag for you hasn’t it?”
“uh huh”
“Why don’t you just resign? You can tell everyone that the liberal-left-fake-news media was mean to you and never gave you a chance. Then you can just go back to golfing and driving around in those little cars. You like the cars, don’t you?”
" I love those little cars, bigly. “
” Good. Good. We’ll let Mikey read all those boring briefs and go to meetings. He loves that stuff. Don’t you, Mikey?"
" Yeah, it’s my favorite. “
Ok, so it’s all settled and don’t worry- we’ll blame it all on the Democrats. " Turns then and whispers to the secret service agent behind him, " show him out now and for God’s sake, get that security clearance revoked!”

ok, so all joking aside. I think the Republicans are leaking the info in order to make it look like a smear campaign organized by the democratic party. The only chance they have now at the mid terms is to make it look like the democrats are schoolyard bullies picking on the new, big dumb kid. If Trump keels over in office it at least spares us the riots in the streets because imagine what will happen if he resigns, points the finger at an unfair system and people have huge victory parties at which point his little supporters stream into the street to revenge his " good" name? They have to play it this way because he does have dirt in his past and if the democrates can manage to get him in front of the congress- which would eventually happen as the man incriminates himself as soon as he opens his mouth- he’ll try to take everyone down with him.

6 Likes