Trump 'revealed highly classified information' to Russians during White House visit after firing FBI's Comey

Lithuania? OK no probs. Gift wrapped or take it as it is?

4 Likes

Also, it seems like the president is just plain above the law in the US. People can argue that all they want, but there is just no way to arrest the president for a crime. If he does something really wrong, congress has to impeach him. If they won’t, he’s legally immune.

10 Likes
8 Likes

Because, wait for it… the Republican Party is now Politburo West.

4 Likes

It’s one of his favorite tricks: disarm and defuse potentially-explosive situations by admitting things in the most casual way possible. It’s like when he did his end-run celebratory rallies after being elected; while people were cheering, he just flat out said “hey, so we’re not locking up Hillary! And who cares about the wall? haha?!” and people just kept cheering even as he just openly admitted he was bullshitting.

4 Likes

9 Likes

10 Likes

During my commute (I ride) I like to check my cell phone for interesting news. The last few months though it’s been more like “I wonder what else Trump fucked up while I was asleep”

I do have a rule- I don’t listen to him talking. Ever.

14 Likes

But even if he did, couldn’t he just pardon himself?

It’s in the constitution, so statutes can’t really override it. The clause says, “except in the case of impeachment” not “except for himself.”

This would be another lesson in norms vs. laws, I think. Sure, a supreme court could say, “Come on, we’re not swallowing that” but would they?

I know. It’s amazing that people swallow it. But the people who end up looking terrible are the people who defended him, not him. Trevor Noah had this thing about how Trump doesn’t get thrown under the bus, Trump is the bus. I think at this point you’d have to be stupid to work for him.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Nevermore.

2 Likes

Oh crap. I just realized it’s all loyalty tests. You have to defend Trump and have him humiliate you or he’ll know you don’t really back him.

ETA: I had a talk with my then four-year-old one day where I explained that loving someone doesn’t mean you let them kick you, so I wasn’t going to stick around and be kicked, but that said nothing about how much I loved her. No one ever had that talk with Trump.

10 Likes

The Russian government doesn’t like orange, because revolutions.

“In the following years, the Orange Revolution had a negative connotation among pro-government circles in Belarus and Russia”

6 Likes

That’s the crux. Nothing was exposed which was sensitive. The very exposure that this took place with the details given by the WaPo is more sensitive than what actually took place in the White House. And the fact that people are rejoicing over it just illustrates how intent they are to smear the president. Regardless, it’s going away cause it’s fake news and the new story for today is the fact that Seth Rich was leaking to wikileaks.

…if you take the President’s word for it.

If you believe multiple cooborrated news stories, it was extraordinarily sensitive information that puts our missions against ISIS at risk.

Your choice, really.

15 Likes

The Orange Spray-Tan Revolution! :fist:

3 Likes

That’s a good one. I have that rule as well. I try very hard never to listen to or watch clips of politicians generally, and DJT especially.

Good observation. Both left and right have this. On the left it’s more benign: “Don’t say X because it’s X-ist” and other types of purification of speech and thought. On the right, it’s: “Here is today’s absolute lie for you to believe and repeat.”

1 Like

That’s about what it would take.

WaPo intentionally left out details-- the nature of specific intelligence is often enough to imply sources, which is the sticky part. The implication is that hypothetically there is an intelligence source placed somewhere sensitive, and reporting on very specific things. Just revealing that those things are being looked at reveals the location and possibly the source. Your sloppy attempt to divert to the laughable Seth Rich thing was a bit too much, though-- you were almost pulling it all off as sincere. Cheers mate!

18 Likes

15 Likes