Trump’s 17 cabinet-level picks have more money than bottom third of American households combined

They ARE more likely to have basic human empathy, so, yeah, I’m OK with that.

17 Likes

“The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them” ?

15 Likes

Let’s get a sense of how the general populace feels about this.

###Which should be running the government?

• Unqualified billionaires
  • Unsuccessful poor people
0 voters
18 Likes

Well, I’m with you fellas!

11 Likes

A sucker is reborn every four years?

7 Likes

And what proportion of Americans did Obama’s cabinet have more money than? It may not be as high as 1/3, but I doubt the figure is negligible.

2 Likes

Seems like most of Obama’s cabinet’s wealth comes from Penny Pritzker. I imagine she has more money than a pretty good proportion of the population on her own.

9 Likes

The most surprising thing is that Trump is fine with being the poorest man in the room.

29 Likes

Gets my vote. Helping the homeless and the unemployed, one cabinet post at a time!

19 Likes

They probably deleted their cookies and the password recovery process was waaaaaay too much.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Well, four of them are billionaires. The fifth one on the list is at $25M or so, making him and the rest pretty much lost in the day to day swings of the market.

10 Likes

Yes, it’s either/or. You are a genius!

22 Likes

No, in practice the choice tends to be between “rich people who are opposed to the mission of the department they run” and “rich people who are paid to subvert the mission of the department they run for the benefit of their corporate donors”.

Poor people don’t get a say either way.

19 Likes

And still there are people all over the internet smugly saying how great it is and they can’t wait for the corruption-free Trumptopia where the economy will be just amazing. I’m still not buying that anyone is that gullible- they know damn well that Trump won’t make life better for them, but as long as he makes it worse for everyone around them (especially those uppity women and coloreds), they’re satisfied.

8 Likes

I wish I could remember who it was, but someone made the point that (one of) the problems with David Cameron’s posh-boy cabinet wasn’t that they didn’t know they were well-off, but that they were so much better off than the great majority of the populace that they couldn’t appreciate the difference between someone earning a comfortable £60,000 a year and someone struggling on £16,000: it was all chicken-feed to them, so really what was the difference?

15 Likes

Wealth is not a good way to judge potential success in government. If it was then the Great Train Robbers should have become the government of Britain.

4 Likes

via Sean Carroll’s twitter

meme-ified image link

11 Likes

That is some seriously deep analysis right there. Hoo Boy!

11 Likes