Trump’s 17 cabinet-level picks have more money than bottom third of American households combined

But, but, but, there is a whole section in atlas shrugged called either/or. it HAS to be! </sarcasm

6 Likes

Ah, yes. The old “If you’re so smart, why aren’t you rich?” argument. The lack of imagination behind this always staggers me.

10 Likes

This article is misleading. Anyone with a positive net worth has more money than a third of all American households put together, because that’s the break-even spot where the aggregate debt and assets of the poorest households net out to zero. You could write exactly the same article about a cabinet with $0 in assets. The wealth of the proposed cabinet is an important issue, but this article has a BS foundation.

Here’s the spreadsheet with my math. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lj2eIoCLghaHt2kT0uG-eaXIafZnge2KYYeP3ZOpNYk/edit#gid=0

4 Likes

Am I doing the math wrong? 9.5 billion / 43 million = 9500000000 / 43000000 = $220.93. 43 million people have $220.93, on the average?

2 Likes

Yay! An apologist to play with, at last! Where to begin? Wheeeee!!!

3 Likes

This is exactly what I expected. Big Oil now controls the State Department.

As expected as it is, I’m still disgusted. Plutocracy has come to The United States. President Mt. Dew will see to that.

3 Likes

From the article

It is worth noting that almost 13% of American households have zero or negative wealth because of debt, so we are adding together these households with those that have at least some wealth.

10 Likes

I’ll take False Dichotomies for 200, Alex.

10 Likes

7 Likes

I love that the response of the bB community to newly-registered, possibly trolling members is to welcome them and stick around for the discussion. The only comment section I can stomach.

12 Likes

And… it’s not a conspiracy if everyone knows about it.

1 Like

Do you think he knows that? Do you think someone will tell him? Can we get his reaction on video? Oh, the pouting is going to be epic. This is going to be priceless…

4 Likes

Maybe we should do something about that, Boing Boingers for congress!

I wonder how representative he is of the net wealth of Boingers, though…

3 Likes

Now lets add everyone who lives in the United States and is not happy with the system. Voting is not enough when both sides are against you, we have to run.

1 Like

The other web community where I’ve been hanging out for years also has the same response to possible drive-by commenters, plus asking them if they write poetry.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone here will be offended if you name names.

3 Likes

I would love to know! That would be a really interesting number to have in this debate! Maybe you can do a bit of digging and come back with a number?

Did you guys come to a conclusion? I’m mathematically challenged (*cough* lazy), who is right? Where is the break even point?

2 Likes

She even recycled that from Kierkegaard.

2 Likes

Which era of greatness is Trump recreating again?

3 Likes