Trump said no injuries, but 100 US troops have brain injuries after Iran strike on Al Asad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/10/trump-said-no-injuries-bu.html

3 Likes

Trump said brain injuries aren’t as serious as physical combat wounds

Says the guys who lied about having bone spurs to get out of serving and doesn’t know anything at all about…anything at all.

25 Likes

27 Likes

Every single US soldier should be appalled at his apathy.

19 Likes

I would like to see the breakdown according to severity of the injuries, but apparently nothing beyond the headline of the total number of injuries observed is worth reporting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK98986/table/introduction.t1/

7 Likes

You often don’t know the severity of a brain injury until a month or so goes by, as many will recover, but some will stay the same, or worsen.

15 Likes

The Sun rises everyday. Trump lies everyday. That people do not understand this fact explains why we are in this mess.

8 Likes

You would hope so, but a certain group will latch onto this as a reason to accuse their previously injured fellow soldiers of faking their injuries. The same group who shame soldiers for going to PTSD treatment, or for feeling suicidal. They’re out there, and in great numbers.

9 Likes

Just because Turnip’s got nothing to injure up there doesn’t mean everyone’s like that…

8 Likes

For the record, I’ve had a very serious TBI. (No, not related to military service.) So trust me, I’m concerned and sympathetic to the soldiers.

But I’m looking at Trump’s completely insensitive and misinformed comments in a different way. Trump needs very badly to “look tough” to appease his followers and his own ego. It’s important to him that the US forces did not really get hurt in the attack, because if they did then he would be compelled to escalate and order more attacks on Iran. This would be a great way to start a war. So letting Trump pretend our forces suffered no serious harm is vital to preventing further bloodshed on both sides.

I don’t intend to forgive Trump. I’m just happy to see any reason, even a fake one, to stop more people from dying.

8 Likes

I follow your reasoning, and realize that you’re hoping that our current path leads to less bloodshed. But you’re basing this hope on the consistency of a dishonest psychopath.
You might be right, but he might also feel that since, either in his mind, or what he feels his followers saw, that since the US felt no major repercussions following his attack on Iran, that he can carry out similar assassinations or similar provocative acts against Iran or other countries with no real consequences.

It’s very normal to want to make sense of what Trump is doing, and how he might act, but you can not expect rational behavior from an abuser. Us not provoking him, us being gentle with him will not make him change, or be less bloodthirsty.

11 Likes

This has nothing whatever to do with stopping a war. Trump WANTS a war with Iraq. He thinks that would ensure his reelection. The only thing important to Trump is getting attention.

But, there are some who can strain reason all out of shape in their desperate attempt to find some way to forgive Cadet Bone Spurs. That fact proves how brain damage and support for Trump are closely related.

You held back! But I forgive you. :pensive:

4 Likes

Decent point.

12 Likes

I’m maturing, like 3 week old milk matures.

5 Likes

Every soldier, sailor, and airman who served during the Cold War should consider Trump a traitor. He cozies up to the Russians. He wants to dismantle NATO. We spent decades missing our homes, putting up with low pay and miserable weather and worse work, in order to protect Western civilization from Russia, and Cheetolini **** all over our allies and our reason for that service and wants to hand Europe to Putin. He should have been tried and convicted of willful misconduct and dereliction of duty.

12 Likes

Trump is proof of that.

11 Likes

Under the right conditions, I’ll have to eventually call you yogurt. (I/m sure you are familiar with self-fermentation? :grin:)

5 Likes

I’m fermenting right now.

10 Likes