Trump says shutdown may continue “a long time”

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/02/says-the-long-time-grifter.html

2 Likes

He said that when it first started too; nothing the man says can be taken at face value.

22 Likes

Anyone sick of winning, yet?

16 Likes

tenor%20(2)

16 Likes

All kinds of insane that he’s still trying to blame the Dems for this considering

• He explicitly promised on live national television he wouldn’t blame the Dems
  • The Democratic-controlled House hasn’t even been sworn in yet
23 Likes

The shutdown will last until the house passes a budget and be senate begrudgingly accepts it. I’m guessing that somehow the Democrats will find a way to favor the GOP’s pet projects (even if they don’t partially fund the wall) for vague future promises that never come.

Trump doesn’t have the guts to veto a spending bill without full wall funding anyways, he’ll just lie about how good a deal he got cut.

12 Likes

Indeed it could. I don’t see why this is surprising. I expect a veto override at some point, but you’re not going to shame Trump into changing his mind.

A lot of people are going to start feeling very anxious when they realize that the IRS won’t issue any refunds while the government is shut down.

15 Likes

Is there a time limit, or session limit on how long the house has to pass a senate bill?

Can the house just pass the original bill already passed by the senate before the shutdown? It wouldn’t need to go back to the senate for another round then, since it already passed there. Unless it’s effectively expired because of the time since it passed or the change in congress’s session.

1 Like

The Trump supporters in my extended family are 100% in favor of the shutdown continuing for quite awhile, because as they see it, this isn’t affecting any part of their daily lives at all, so it’s demonstrating how meaningless the 800,000 furloughed & unpaid workers actually are. So in their eyes, this just keeps people whining and angry, which is the real goal of any bully.

19 Likes

They could, but why?

2 Likes

That is true, but as tax season continues more and more people will experience the issues since the IRS has their taxpayer service phone lines and email shut down and isn’t processing many documents.

10 Likes

It’s already passed the senate. Passing it in the house now means that it doesn’t need any more negotiation in the senate at all. There’s no chance for some new tweak to become an issue in the senate. It’s presumably something that was agreeable to everyone 2 weeks ago, before Fox News chided his ego.

Just open the floor, vote on it, and send it to his desk, done. He can veto it obviously, and yell and scream still, something he’ll likely do no matter what is passed (the screaming part anyway). But, even more than the talk about owning it, it’ll highlight that if he can’t have his way, he’s taking the ball and just leaving.

2 Likes

If one needs the money it isn’t coming soon. Furloughed govies could use the refunds now.

6 Likes

Absolutely – I’m sure a lot of companies and tax accountants are already feeling the pain as businesses try to file quarterly or end-of-year taxes. Bit by bit folks in flyover states will start to realize small things that are simply not functioning like they usually do.

4 Likes

It goes beyond that, I had to call the IRS and their phone lines at until the shutdown ends their phones are dead. Those phone lines are critical for tax questions if say… massive sweeping tax legislation passed and filing companies need to get ahold of the IRS.

Well as I understand it the official tax paperwork for 2018 is unfinished, and won’t be if the shutdown doesn’t end. I expect there’s a lot of scrambling to file paperwork to delay filing taxes.

4 Likes

Indeed. I am assuming that any IRS investigations are stopped as well.

Hmmmmm.

9 Likes

You’ve found his plan to stop the investigation preventing the release of his prior taxes. :slight_smile:

We’re all doomed then, this could go on for two years with no end. :frowning:

7 Likes

Any bills not passed and signed into law in the session ending today are dead and void.

8 Likes

The Nostradumbass supports that @nungesser speaks of (I have them in my fam too) won’t care. Even when it does actually effect them…they will then blame the Dems and not their dear leader El Dumbass.

4 Likes

That bill is big cuts to Medicare, increased spending overall, and a partially funded wall. The incoming House was literally put in place to prevent that shit.

7 Likes