Trump says houses of worship 'essential,' if governors don’t obey his reopen demands he will 'override'

Why do you assume it’s his decision? He’s an employee. It’s the elders of many churches that make the decisions. He can refuse to go to work, or work to make the place as safe as possible. I don’t know how hard he worked to dissuade the elders.

I can also predict what he would say. His congregation is going to be there. It’s his responsibility to be there with them, like it or not.

I don’t have regular contact with him, but I would strongly recommend he discourage people from going. If someone dies, he’s going to be devastated. The infection rate around here is low enough that there is a low possibility of someone being infected (heck, the county next to the church has had zero reported infections). But I fully agree it’s just not worth it.

4 Likes

Totally. Its just another dimension of his incompetence that he believes he can do whatever the hell he wants to do – and if McConnel continues to back him up, then frankly he can do whatever the hell he wants to do.

7 Likes

Relevant:

10 Likes

Then I wish your brother-in-law luck. And hope he stays well.

1 Like

From literally the same day from his own CDC: High COVID-19 Attack Rate Among Attendees at Events at a Church — Arkansas, March 2020

1/3 of the people got it. 3 people died. 3 whole, human beings - like, actual people with lives and experiences and interests - they died. At just the one church. 4 people, including a person who didn’t even attend. I seriously cannot even with this.

20 Likes

I’d be somewhat curious to how many people have died of COVID as a result of visiting a liquor store.

7 Likes

Human sacrifice is making a comeback much sooner than I’d expected.
But I did expect it.

3 Likes

Now please reassure me that you didn’t want it.

5 Likes

I just came from one (Cheers!) and they’re enforcing all the rules I’d expect at a Costco or anywhere else where employees and customers are valued. #JerseyStrong!

9 Likes

Surveys say even Republicans think the reopening is happening too quickly.

And from what I understand in my small, rural town, plenty of churches are reluctant to reopen until everyone feels safer. Turns out lots of churches don’t like the idea of being responsible for slaughtering a bunch of parishioners!

9 Likes

The joke is on you if you think Trump is a Republican; he isn’t, in any way.

4 Likes

Which is odd, because we’re told everything will be better when we’re dead.
Should I infer that’s not true?
Have they been lying all this time?

(Of course I don’t want thousands more people dead, but as Tests of Faith go this is the doozy.)

8 Likes

It will be interesting to see if the usual pandering to the evangelicals will work in this case.

7 Likes

“Almost”? C’mon… just because he hasn’t said it out loud in front of a hot mike, are you still going to give him the benefit of the doubt here?

He correctly intuits that poor people, black people, native american and latinos and hispanics are all more susceptible to covid 19 than his rich, white donor base.

He has steadfastly refused to cooperate in manufacturing enough test kits to safely reopen the country. And he’s loudly pushing the country towards the same trajectory Italy followed.

There’s no doubt in my mind, he is very much into trimming ‘excess’ population.

6 Likes

I don’t know how mosquitos feed, but I doubt that they take a big drink from one person and then go home. If they’re hopping from person to person in a crowd (who are supposed to be sitting still), then the crowd is easy game if the mosquitos brought yellow fever or picked it up from someone in the crowd.

Plus, that many breathing people in one room will be a mosquito magnet.

Different disease, different vector, but gatherings like church services are still a bad idea.

11 Likes

Are Donald and Melania going to attend church this Sunday, since it seems to be so essential? What about Pence and Mother? Or is this yet another example of their usual “do as I say and not as I do”?

15 Likes

How to override governors: jail them; appoint temp replacements.
How to open places of worship: deploy troops to secure altars.
How to be a protected place of worship: hail the god-emperor.

As a compromise, chapels at cemeteries and memorial parks are open to all worshipers. It’s like setting senior centers next to graveyards, so folks know the next step.

4 Likes

WWJD? Well, let’s see what Matthew had to say?

checks notes

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father who is in secret; and thy Father who seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Oh. Right.

8 Likes

He’s still pretending he’s Christian?

5 Likes

Isn’t there something about the Separation of Church and State?

5 Likes