Trump says houses of worship 'essential,' if governors don’t obey his reopen demands he will 'override'

The Dutch Orthodox Jewish community took an interesting approach to the minyan for kaddish. There is a Dutch Jewish retirement home in Israel where the residents have been able to pray together throughout the pandemic as they are effectively one household, while being numerous enough for a minyan. They offered to say kaddish for the relatives of anyone in the Netherlands who is unable to do so themselves.

(Of course, by Jewish law almost all other commandments are required to be set aside in order to save a life.)

14 Likes
6 Likes

Today Trump is making a pilgrimage to the eighteen holy holes.

11 Likes

He’s the head of the Republican Party, and Republicans throughout the land bend to his will. Let’s not do a No True Scotsman here.

Trump’s style is his own, but his rhetoric is standard Republican cant turned up to 11 with the quiet parts said out loud.

11 Likes

Your comment assumes that he even thinks he can do this. Call me cynical, but I assume that he knows he can’t do this. He says it anyway because he knows his base eats it up. To Trump it doesn’t matter if he can do it or not. He’s already gotten the benefit–his base thinks he wants to do it, and the media criticizes, feeding the cycle of “the media hates Trump.” No matter what it’s a win for him.

2 Likes

The boundaries between what he knows aren’t true, the things he thinks are true, and the scattershot that he fires to test the waters with his base are very fluid.

6 Likes

Override is a word he heard on TV. If it is on TV it must be real.

2 Likes

The Ocher Ogre sure loves saying he’ll override the governors, when he can do nothing of the sort.

2 Likes

White evangelicals:

Aw tHAT’S JUsT fAnCY TalK

2 Likes

Ya gotta remember, it’s not the building that makes the Church, it’s what’s inside, Specifically, the collection plate.

Or as Matthew said: “Wherever there are two or three gathered in my name, there’s money to be made.”

7 Likes

I believe the catholic church declared that it’s fine for your soul to fast during the pandemic. I’m not sure about others.

He is now, because he has remade the GOP in his image.

12 Likes

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss his imaginary power to override governors. I don’t think he’s going to send feds or troops or anything like that. He’ll probably just tweet something like ‘The President of the United States authorizes your church gatherings’, which will cause an enforcement nightmare for the states, and I’m sure he’s hoping to see press coverage of state troopers arresting churchgoers.

Just my conjecture, but I could see it happening.

7 Likes

So, which church do you think Donald Trump chose to worship at this morning?

My guess is Our Lady of Perpetual Grievances.

10 Likes

Wrong, but thanks.

PRAYING TO THE LORD OF THE NINE IRON

10 Likes

IIRC, The governors of the various oblasts don’t enjoy independent power bases, so perhaps Trump is learning the wrong lessons from putin.

15 Likes

Matthew 6:5 And when you make your prayers, be not like the hypocrites, who take pleasure in getting up and saying their prayers in the Synagogues and at the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, that will be their only reward.

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father who is in secret; and thy Father who seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Seem like the bible itself backs you up. But, “My Freedoms”, I guess.

2 Likes

The GOP does what trump says. The GOP is led by trump and is what trump wants now. The GOP acquitted him of any wrongdoing during his impeachment hearing in the senate after clearly stating and admitting he committed crimes.

The GOP either doesn’t exist at all, or is whatever trump wants it to be.

7 Likes