Trump security trapped bored MAGA fans last night until dull speech ended, says ABC

Yes, it’s kidnapping, it’s a federal crime.

9 Likes

I don’t have a problem with those stupid enough to attend getting their noses rubbed in it for the duration. There’s a slight chance that they might get jolted back to reality.

14 Likes

It’s sort of like tricking people to get on an aircraft by lying to them. https://www.mass.gov/doc/6575-kidnapping-by-trickery-or-deceit-inveigle-gl-c-265-ss-26-clause-3/download

12 Likes

i believe the RNC threatened to stop paying his legal bills if he announced. here’s hoping they follow through and he has to hock a couple of golf courses to pay the bills.

19 Likes

Metaphor alert!

My first thought: seems like kidnapping.

15 Likes

A metaphor for his four years in office…

It’s not that he is any different.
It’s that finally, F I N A L L Y, more MAGAs can see.

A journey of discovery consists not in visiting new states,
but in having new eyes (that can see through FOX.)

2 Likes

Not the first time his fans have been trapped:

13 Likes
13 Likes

The ending of The Dirty Dozen also comes to mind.

8 Likes

I’d love to be happy about this, but the decline of Trump means the rise of DeathSantis, who seems much better organized as a fascist. The fight is never over.

20 Likes

Rant here with let’s say a devil’s advocate counterpoint.

I want to bask in the comfort of this message. I want to feel secure that Trump has fizzled out. I don’t want to be a scared Jew in a place where my people have found freedom and protection, survived, thrived and contributed to my nation’s success and enhanced and expanded its democratic values to protect many others. But at this time especially, I have to consider the history of these Trump statements, the nuance about what he’s really saying, and what it’s meant to trigger.

Who cares about the audience in the room? What is this saying to the cult of people watching at home, or the millions more who will digest the concentrated version on the media and platforms still loyal to Trumpism? To these people who have tried to kidnap a governor, who planned to hang Trump’s own VP and the speaker of the house on orders from Trump, who’ve assaulted family of democratic leadership while GOP leaders laugh about it, who literally shot a guy on his front lawn because he might be a democrat, who are holding nazi rallies on highway overpasses, leafletting threats in neighborhoods with high Jewish populations and fanning anti-semitic conspiracy theories (a wildfire that easily spreads in traditionally “left” communities), threatening drag queens and staking out ballot boxes? Not to mention the politicization of covid…

I didn’t listen to the speech, but a clip I saw concerns me greatly. He’s shifting from threats on our border to say he will impose martial law in cities and states that haven’t asked for it. He also echoes a blood motif as “The blood-soaked streets of our once-great cities are cesspools of violent crimes.” and later reinforcing this as “they are indeed cesspools of blood.

To me, “blood” is a dog whistle for anti-semitism, now extended to the entire DNC. Jordan Klepper has been discovering this in his many interactions with these same people (which he discussed just this morning).

This may be a little hard to swallow, but go back and look at all of the headlines here. These same BB pages, on this website that I love, has discounted Trump’s influence and effectiveness on the regular since he first announced his run for office. That’s okay re 2015, everyone was doing it. There was no way he could win, right? He won. Then, his administration was portrayed to be in constant meltdown from his first days in office, and yet, look at all the shit he managed to do, without full meltdown, without his party or all effective staffers abandoning him, and how that ended under the cult he and Q created.

The cult isn’t gone. The most hope we have going now is that the actual GOP party leadership in DC is feeling bolstered by Rupert Murdoch’s abandonment of Trump to effectively neutralize the cult of hate. But, if having something to hate is what gets them into office, they’ll keep breaking out the dog whistles, and we are still in danger and our democracy is teetering on the brink - because this cult of millions of people believes that any electoral loss is a sign that the democratic process is rigged. They want blood.

27 Likes

Maybe they should have promised the crowd time-and-a-half after the first hour.

9 Likes

You’re not wrong about the danger of the American fascist movement persisting apart from Biff, or about his continuing role in replenishing that toxic brew. I don’t think any of the BB Authors discount that, even as they point out the his clownish absurdity and his parade of failures and even when they celebrate the GOP and Murdoch and the rest of these jackals declaring him a loser.

There are occasional comments asking us not to pay attention to him and his ilk (EmptyG, Boebert, etc ) or which try to excuse the complacency and lack of urgency sometimes displayed by the Third Way Dem establishment. For the most part, though, I doubt you’ll find any regular commenter or BB Author who would fundamentally disagree with your assessment of the danger we all face from resurgent right-wing populism.

tl;dr: good and necessary rant.

20 Likes

At least John Whorfin had a personality and could command their attention. The few seconds of Drumpf’s speech I caught in those videos was the same tired shiat about walls in a monotonous drone that would have would have bored a bagpiper.

13 Likes

Appreciate what you’re saying as well as Carla attributing this: “says ABC.” I also think, personally, avoiding yet another whole MAGA rant is better for ones’ mental health. I wouldn’t wish a full viewing on anyone, especially at BB.

On another note, guessing the fire marshal doesn’t want to get involved at Mar A Lago but anywhere else, that would be who to call if security is blocking the doors. Reminds me of those EST seminars in the 70s.

Here’s a nice take:
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1592703167678275586

20 Likes

As Beau of the Fifth Column said, “You bought the ticket, you take the ride.”

14 Likes

Being stuck in one of his speeches is not nearly enough of a sentence for aiding and abetting that felon.

11 Likes

Like a Trump speech?

15 Likes

He won’t be selling anything. He’s already well known for not paying contractors, and his reputation in the legal community has been summarized as “he doesn’t listen (to legal advice) and he doesn’t pay.”

12 Likes

I don’t think the hate has gone anywhere - it’s just waiting for the next person to start pointing where it needs to go.
Sadly.

12 Likes