Trump Spokesmonster Scottie Nell Hughes: 'There's No Such Thing as Facts'

I hope there will be some sort of analogous moment politically- that convincing everyone they know nothing ends up biting our President Basil in the ass.

1 Like

Here’s the thing about that though; despite how many people will try to reinvent reality to suit their personal agendas, there are some facts that are just undeniable… like the existence of gravity. Or as @KathyPartdeux brilliantly put it:

Not believing in that train will not stop it from squashing you flat if you’re standing on the tracks.

However, I do agree that the fight is on, and that’s why I vehemently reject the bitterly defeatist (or even sarcastic) ‘acceptance’ of post-facts or post-truth.

You can pour syrup on a pile of shit all you want, but it will never be pancakes; no matter how much you may want to believe it is… and that’s a fact.

9 Likes

Basil Trump: sitcom character or president? You decide.

3 Likes

10 Likes
2 Likes

No.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2016/06/50-million-hack-just-showed-dao-human/amp/?client=safari

5 Likes

Is it me, or does BoingBoing feel really, really seditiou5 in the current climate?

2 Likes

Obligatory:

10 Likes
Fact:

cracks joke about Trump’s team having yet to achieve object permanence

10 Likes

Theres still enough of that all around what with all the constant invention of rights, the ever expanding redefinition of post modern identity reality, etc.

Because figuring out people will be better off with say, a right to a living wage or something (pretty much proven by the way), is totally the same as simply denying that climate change is even happening.

/sarc

16 Likes

But they didn’t win unanimously, or even by a yuuuge margin! That’s like losing, and winners never lose!

2 Likes

Developer: I’m telling you, that glass is totally full in the test environment!

10 Likes

Contra Donald Rumsfeld, absence of evidence is evidence of absence, provided someone’s been looking. If in-person voter fraud were happening on that scale (and of course it’s a total coincidence that the allegation’s number is almost identical to Clinton’s popular vote margin) there should be evidence of it. That no such evidence has been found serves as adequate proof that it didn’t happen.

3 Likes

Physicist: Ordinary mass is mostly empty space, so the glass is only about 4 × 10⁻¹³ percent full.

9 Likes

He’s worse. At least Dagny Taggart was hypercompetent and knew how to run a successful railroad. She would never have put her name on a shoddy product.

6 Likes

Which is how you can tell that she’s a fictional capitalist.

13 Likes

You are, of course, correct, but that wasn’t my point. My point is that roughly half the population doesn’t understand this, and Trump is taking advantage of that. Of course a lack of evidence when you have been looking should be sufficient proof, but Trump will just say, “But you didn’t look in the right places. Many people have looked at this and found evidence of voter fraud.” And you can’t really argue with that because it’s nonsense. And if you call it out as nonsense, then Trump and his supporters just accuse you of being a liberal elite, which delegitimizes every word out of your mouth to the people who voted for him.

1 Like

If he were to say that he’d be taking back the burden of proof. “Show us this supposed evidence.”

He’s not that dumb.

2 Likes