Trump super-PAC paying for co-defendant’s legal defense

Originally published at: Trump super-PAC paying for co-defendant's legal defense | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The most surprising thing about this is that we know about it.

12 Likes

I suppose his inner circle (and immediate family) is hoping everyone senior to them is going to the big house ( not the White one), while they’re on the outside taking excellent care of all his money.

3 Likes

One of those really stupid questions.

Is this actually legal?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s not illegal, as a PAC can spend its money in and around a candidate however they want, as long as they don’t just hand it to them.

Usually not done, but the record holder for biggest loser is always good for breaking new ground.

4 Likes

Probably. From the ABA’s Model Rules of Professional Conduct, which most states have adopted with minor modifications, Rule 1.8(f):

“A lawyer shall not accept compensation for representing a client from one other than the client unless:

(1) the client gives informed consent;

(2) there is no interference with the lawyer’s independence of professional judgment or with the client-lawyer relationship; and

(3) information relating to representation of a client is protected as required by Rule 1.6.”

8 Likes

Of course, Biff isn’t using his own money to help his loyal minions. It’s always some other sucker’s cash.

10 Likes

Trump’s “Save America” PAC is trying to save him by paying for Carlos De Oliveira

Um, “allegedly.”

2 Likes

“Hey Carlos, shame if anything were to happen to your free defense.” -trump probably

5 Likes

I would hire my own lawyer and turn so quickly on Donald … I’ll serve time for deleting a file, but I don’t want to be part of this national security conspiracy shit. No way.

There’s gotta be a Democratic-friendly law firm that would happily take on this case pro-bono.

4 Likes

1: mayyyybe, kinda.

2 and 3: nope. Trump is absolutely gonna break those rules over and over.

2 Likes

Those rules do not apply to Trump. Those rules apply to the law firm hired for De Oliveira’s defense. If they break them, they will be in trouble. Trump and his PAC can tell those attorneys anything they want, but if those attorneys say anything other than, “I’m sorry, but our client is Mr. De Oliveira, not Mr. Trump or the Super PAC,” they will be opening themselves up to a world of trouble. And all they have to do is look at the disbarred, sanctioned, censured, and convicted lawyers Trump has left in his wake. If they aren’t complete idiots, they will toe the line on this rule.

6 Likes

PAC or no PAC, if they’re gonna get paid in money that has Trump stink all over it, they better have asked for it up front…

5 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

4 Likes

When a billionaire asks you to give him money for his personal expenses- you should tell him that maybe he could cut back on coffee.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.