Trump supporters want women's right to vote removed

Agreed. Since nobody was massively exaggerating, I guess we’re done here, then?

3 Likes

No, because there has been lots of exaggerating.

I feel like your claim that there’s been lots of exaggerating is a massive exaggeration. Do you have a specific example of the thing you’re claiming is happening from this thread or from the article?

3 Likes

I don’t see any sunshine here. Just a lot of tribal posturing; like two troops of australopithecines waving antelope femurs at each other.

But I don’t have any need to pick fights with potential allies, and I believe you are a good person at heart, so I’m going to go play elsewhere. Live long and prosper!

7 Likes

“Here is you caviar, Mr. Putin.”

7 Likes

I MISS JOHN ANDERSON AND H. ROSS PEROT! well, sort of.

4 Likes

Look, @Abrax_23, everything you’ve been posting looks like classic concern-trolling. That’s why people have been so quick to dissect the details of your assertions. You’re new to BB (welcome to BB!), so maybe this speed has taken you by surprise. If you’re sincere and not simply an apologist for Trump supporters, maybe this isn’t the hill you want to die on.

7 Likes

Of course they do.

5 Likes

Here you go folks, a Washington Post article that echoes exactly the points I was making. A newspaper that outright endorses Clinton for president.

A quote from the article:
looking through 1,000 tweets and retweets scraped between 7:50 and 9:10 p.m. Wednesday, a little more than 100 of them appear to be from Trump supporters. The rest are all expressing outrage about the hashtag, rallying women to get out and vote in response to it, or are straight-up mocking it.”

overwhelmingly, the most influential tweets we could identify about #Repealthe19th over the course of yesterday appear to come from people who are very much opposed to the hashtag, according to a network analysis of the hashtag we generated using Indiana University’s social analysis tool suite.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/10/13/yes-repealthe19th-trended-but-not-for-the-reasons-you-think/

@nemomen @wrecksdart

2 Likes

Well, it’s a sad state of affairs when just stating objective observations is interpreted as driving trollies.

I don’t think @nemomen was ever arguing what drove the spike. That seems to be your particular fixation, from what I’ve read here.

4 Likes

I don’t know if you can tell, but that is not an example of anyone exaggerating, but basically a reiteration of a thing I actually said myself.

1 Like

The interpretation is natural when someone by all appearances joins the BBS just to make a point, and the point can be read as an attempt to make something deplorable seem less bad, and all subsequent posts are digging in using language we all recognize as sea lion talk. The fact that people are responding to your posts at all means we are wildly optimistic.

6 Likes

The entire phenomenon we’re discussing is an exaggeration by definition. Most of the tweets reflect an imaginary reality wherein thousands of Trump supporters were rallying to the call of repealing the 19 amendment, when the reality of the situation was it was a handful of trolls.

3 Likes
1 Like

However “natural” their interpretations, it doesn’t make them any less wrong. Most people only look at a headline or a hashtag and assume there must be a weight of truth behind it. This is why sticking to objective facts is so important, even when the lie might seem to suit our tastes.

Some more relevant info for anyone who cares.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/10/13/donald-trump-supporters-repealthe19th/

Once again, the Alt-Right is at the center of this all. For the “lulz” I’m sure. But once again, their actions have real world consequences, and they aren’t all about the lulz.

6 Likes

You are fighting a narrative nobody here has proposed. That’s fine. Feel free to fight what those other people are saying. But quit dragging me into a narrative that I’ve said nothing about and partly agreed with you on, please.

Secondly, the WaPo and Snopes article also are cutting the dates incorrectly to look at only the period of the response rather than what triggered the response. If you’re interested, take a look at the time before the 538 article triggered the Trump supporters to fire an extra barrage of #repealthe19th tweets and trigger the massive counter-response. There are hundreds of accounts that were using the hashtag before they got noticed:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23repealthe19th%20since%3A2016-09-01%20until%3A2016-10-11&src=typd&lang=en

I’ve never claimed there were more than hundreds, not has anyone here, so if you want to whinge about the others feel free, but I’ve been very, very clear about the fact that I was discussing the BB article and discussion on the BBS. There’s been no exaggeration in the context I was discussing.

8 Likes