Trump tells his followers to leave Facebook and Twitter. Will they obey?

In all fairness, this cuts both ways. Remember the Twitter Boycott of August 2018, when all of the reasonable people left Twitter, which then met the reasonable people’s demands?

2 Likes

Trump and MTG being banned from social media must have doubled the collective IQ of the Twitterati.

2 Likes

Maybe we can get them all to join their own walled garden, and, if the gods are willing, …

1 Like

4 Likes

X3

12 Likes

I would say good riddance but I don’t actually frequent those sites anyway.

2 Likes

Capture

4 Likes

Trump is telling people to quit Facebook and Twitter… because his new company Trump Media & Technology Group is supposed to have its own social medial platform called Truth Social. TMTG is the company that Devin Nunes left Congress to run.

I’m sure it will be as successful as Trump Steaks, Trump Airlines, etc. Well, “successful” is a relative term. Trump seems to use these ventures as a way to bilk investors of money.

10 Likes

That one’s right up there w/my former friend’s screaming on facebook that her fellow vaxxholes must boycott the places that require proof of vaccination.
tophat-confused

4 Likes

More power to yr elbow, Georgie boy! Here’s a 20 pounder to help you on yr way!

2 Likes

Sounds like a good way to make Facebook/Twitter great again!

1 Like

That was my first thought, too! Then I realized that until they fix the algorithms to stop encouraging extremism, and start doing better applying their rules to their content moderation, treating their “contracted workers” better, and, and, and, I’m never going back to Facebook. Last weekend I got kind of excited about a VR headset Mark posted about somewhere else (I’m not a gamer, but you can use it for workouts and “walking tours” it just sounds cool) until I realized you need a Facebook account for it to work. Nope.

8 Likes

I recall someone making the point that these alt right social media platforms are doomed to fail because it isn’t as engaging and addictive when there’s no one to argue with or get angry at. i dunno how that actually plays out… there’s plenty of places on the web where people just hang out with like-minded people.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Speaking of FB…

2 Likes

I had genuinely forgotten how unsettling Trump looks in that clip, laboring for breath. I’m guessing he came way nearer to croaking than anyone realized at the time.

Also - obligatory xkcd!

4 Likes

The only reason twitter and facebook have been so successful recently is because they intentionally curate newsfeeds and timelines to put people you’d engage with more in front of your face more. And , historically, that’s people with opinions vastly different than yours.

Twitter’s gotten so bad about their top tweets thing that I’ve banned or muted some people/words and if a FRIEND retweets a tweet by someone , the top tweets thing will start putting THEIR tweets on my page. So if a friend retweets “Look at this asshole: ” , I’d start seeing “Look at what the person your friends retweeted are tweeting! <Trump Jr’s last five Tweets>”

3 Likes

There are. I guess the question is how many of them want to do that, and how many are looking for a fight.

2 Likes

Right. It seems like the whole philosophy of the American right wing is reactionary fighting. They don’t have interest in getting to the truth, which is where a lot of decent people find intellectual curiosity. Like here on boing boing… which honestly is probably a bit of a bubble, but people still are interested in challenging each other and sharing legitimate knowledge rather than just stirring hornets nests. And I’m sure here that is due largely to the hard work of moderators.

6 Likes

If only we could get Peter Nararro and Steve Bannon to feel more betrayed by Trump

7 Likes