Trump tells supporters to boycott DirecTV if it follows through on plans to drop One America News Network

8 Likes

You better believe it is. Today even Moscow Mitch McConnell called 1/6 for what it was, " a violent insurrection against a legitimately certified election" The shit is about to hit the proverbial fan and Mitch knows it!

8 Likes

Is DirecTV still a thing? Surprised its not kaput.

2 Likes

OAN has far less interaction on Twitter than I thought it would

4 Likes

I think it’s gone beyond Trump, though. Yes, it will take a lot to fill his size 30 clown shoes, but people like DeSantis are more than equipped to do so. In a way, much more. Someone like DeSantis is actually a smart individual. He wont make the stupid narcissist self-owns of a Trump (eg, losing two Senators in GA solely due to his own stupidity). He wont commit obviously impeachable acts. He’ll continue the GQP program of methodically creating a proto-fascist-libertarian state that benefits the wealthy and the Evangelical.

4 Likes

So long as there’s large swaths of the country unconnected to the fiber/cable network DirecTV will be a thing.

5 Likes

Ummm already gone.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-14/directv-to-drop-one-america-news-in-blow-to-conservative-channel

“The satellite-TV provider has notified OAN’s owner, Herring Networks Inc., that it plans to stop carrying the company’s two channels when their contract expires.”

Did I miss something?

4 Likes

DirecTV’s contract with Herring Networks expires in early April,

So technically they haven’t stopped carrying OAN, but will in April unless they fail to follow through on their plan.

2 Likes

Big Hero GIF

3 Likes

Probably not. Bloomberg pretty much read between the lines, though:

Pay-TV providers like DirecTV have been dropping channels to lower their programming costs

It sounds like DirectTV determined through their internal review that OAN didn’t get enough eyeballs to justify the licensing fees DTV was paying. So, unless OAN starts giving away their content for free, they’re probably going to find an ever-shrinking number of distributors.

3 Likes

Mental decline notwithstanding, Trump is only 75

5 Likes

PBS operates a number of satellite feeds

7 Likes

The Great Deplorable tells Qarens and Qevens they have freedumbz only if HE allows them to.

2 Likes

Who thought up the name “One America News” for this network? Marketing-wise the title lacks oomph and sounds so exclusionary. Did a bureau of directors approve this or was it one apparatchik’s vision?

2 Likes

:thinking:

6 Likes

For daily beast members,

my rambling summary:

Essentially, Fox News survives because it gets abnormally high carriage fees from the cable providers-- it can afford to piss off advertisers, because it gets paid so many cents per subscriber-- whether those subscribers actually watch or not. These carriage fees were extracted from the cable companies because the Fox network had super popular shows; like Glee, and Fox would do things like pull the finale of “Glee” when it came to renew the contract.

OANN was conceived as leverage against Fox News. “Why would we pay you, or even carry you, when our right wing viewers will just watch OANN instead”? The people behind it, who later came to control DirectTV, subsidized it, so that it would continue to exist when Murdoch attempted to play hardball.

5 Likes

I think Obama should do a series of PSA’s, telling people to keep taking their cholesterol and blood pressure meds, eat less than five cheeseburgers at every meal, exercise, don’t watch more than 16 hours of TV a day, and don’t eat blocks of cheese bigger than your head. It would be tragic if people didn’t listen to him.

4 Likes

Content … aside … they … talk … really … slow … on … that … channel … and … it … put … me … to … sleeeeep … .

2 Likes

Blockquote

No. Not a single Black man should be sacrificed to anything to do with the demented orange turd. There’s been far too many already.

4 Likes

“It is a very popular channel, far more popular than most would understand,”

Nonsense, viewing numbers these days are known down to the single digits.

But bombast, “puffery” far beyond reason and outright lies are Trump’s stock in trade and have been since he found out how they can serve him.

And when the music stops, and leaves him standing, he just runs away or files a lawsuit or ten, declares bankruptcy and starts all over again.

1 Like