Trump threatens to permanently bar Canadian legal weed investors from entering the USA

It’s okay. I’m not goin’ anywhere. I’m too high.

4 Likes

This has the potential to hit the US hard. They are targeting anyone who works, or invests, along with the traditional “have you ever consumed.”

Canadians will be inconvenienced. Some will lose money or business.

The US stands to lose a shitton of tourist dollars, as it’ll be akin to banning anyone who has ever consumed alcohol or tobacco. And Canadians spend a lot of tourist dollars in the US.

Trudeau says he’s not going to pressure the US, because he knows what he says won’t matter. NAFTA has proven the uselessness of that tack. But internal pressure, from the border and Snowbird states where the economy nosedives? When Florida, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona join in the screaming? That might work where saying “pretty please don’t do this” fails.

And I agree with the above poster that says this is Sessions. This has his grubby little goblin fingers all over it.

11 Likes

Nah, we’re pretty much all just the absolute worst.

Very selective enforcement that will go beyond skin colour to politics. In order to enforce this they’d have to do a lot of advance research to identify these investors and their political donation records and (if they’re high-profile enough) public statements will doubtless be taken into account by the regime.

6 Likes

I see many lawsuits forthcoming if this foolishness is allowed to stand.

2 Likes

Trump threatens to do a lot of stuff, but rarely follows through. How’s that wall coming? How about the investigation of Hillary? The lawsuit against the anominous op-ed person?

1 Like

Border agents are responsible to no one. You get banned, and that’s the way it is.

I actually knew someone from England who was banned from entering the US. He had some convoluted explanation that he gave his mom but it was extremely likely (given his lifestyle) that it was because he was connected to drugs. And that was it. He can’t ever enter the US.

This is why you should always be extraordinarily polite to border agents.

4 Likes

That seems to be their plan.

8 Likes

Shorter headline:

Trump Runs Mouth

5 Likes

Even if Trump had tweeted, there’s always a chance he’ll see a shiny thing and get distracted. Or he’ll get criticism and double down. The suspense makes it fun!

3 Likes

But whom do you sue? And on what legal ground? The US (and other countries too, to be fair) has already asserted their right to search the information on your cell phone when you wish to enter the country. Pot remains illegal at the federal level.

I agree that it is an incredibly stupid policy, but then so is the policy of not allowing anyone born in Syria into the US.

4 Likes

I plan on staying away until Trump is gone, personally.

3 Likes

We need someone in the White House who’s sympathetic to business.

6 Likes

I have met multiple people who can’t enter Canada due to pot possession convictions. It will be interesting to see if they get amnesty now that it’s legal in Canada.

2 Likes

Of course I’ll by lying through my teeth next time I cross. And the only electronics I carry over is a $100 phone from Staples with a Roam Mobility SIM and a fresh Gmail account created specifically for that trip.

Of course they could say the LACK of any evidence one way or the other is suspicious.

I guess come October when -every- Canadian crossing denies all connection with pot , they’ll figure a few are lying.

But Canadian distillers who made fortunes shipping illegal liquor to the US during prohibition (I’m looking at you, Seagrams), why they’re just fine.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t count on that until they start giving amnesty to Canadians convicted of pot possession offenses. So far, it’s been “wait until it’s legal and then we’ll see”. Soon, we will see.

4 Likes

If you are a US Citizen, by law, you can NOT be denied entry. They can make it a hassle but they have to, ultimately, allow you to enter.

5 Likes

Trump wants some of their pie.

Or, you know, someone could just take anything related to it off his desk. :wink:

1 Like