Trump threatens to pull federal support of California universities

Pell grants. The right would love an excuse to cut those.

2 Likes

So, you would guarantee that it got protested into the ground, since the alternative is homework… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m guessing the misstatement will disappear like Kirov.

That’s certainly true. But Pell grants are to the individual, not the institution. Students can take that grant anywhere.

1 Like

Why can’t he act like one? :wink:

3 Likes

Also, students pay tuition and fees. Presumably, they get a say in who comes to campus to speak.

7 Likes

Well then, California should cut the money being sent to the Feds for the red states and put that money in the universities instead!

5 Likes

Only to “eligible” institutions. The Office of Postsecondary Education in the DoE has authority to determine institutional eligibility.

3 Likes

They especially should when fees to the speakers are paid out of student funds.

3 Likes

They often are… we have a speak series at my school, and they come out of student fees (and they are bringing George Takai NEXT FUCKING WEEK!!!). I’d certainly want to protest someone like Milo being paid out of fees I had to pay to the university.

8 Likes

And for the most controversial and conservative speakers those fees can often be quite high, so they can be a real detriment to the rest of the student activities.

4 Likes

These are “black bloc” types, right? Seems to me we need to develop a way to keep these a**holes from attending rallies. They really distract from the message the protestors are trying to get out.

Note: I’ve never been to a protest, aside from a peaceful gathering on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. Not sure if it’s possible to exclude black block types.

3 Likes

I seem to remember hearing of ways to contain and shame them that seemed to work. It’d require coordination, however.

1 Like
4 Likes

I didn’t know they’d named themselves ‘black bloc’ until I saw a NYT article after I posted here. But yes. I don’t know how to do that unless it’s for organizers to say ahead of time we don’t want you here and possible end demos before it turns dark.

The NYT article gave me a different perspective on them. I suspected they were Alt Right types but it seems their origins are in ‘alt left’ if that’s a term. However, where ever there is violence, other players will seek to use that for their agenda. Violence is not the answer.

1 Like

Hey, did you notice they didn’t bother the Women’s March? I’m sure that was by design.

BTW - here’s the article.

ahhhh. Well. here’s the gif anyway.

2 Likes

Fortunately, this administration is all about maintaining and upholding the law.

8 Likes

Daytime marches with hundreds of thousands of people make it much harder for a handful of people to foment trouble.

5 Likes