Trump threatens to revoke security clearance of intel chiefs who criticize him (LOL, half those guys lost theirs already)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/23/sanders-wh-may-revoke-securit.html

6 Likes

When do we get to revoke the security clearance of Donald Trump since he clearly monetized them, in clear violation of the emolument acts. Especially with all of his trips to Mar-a-Lago spilling secrets to his foreign and domestic guests.

45 Likes

Step # 5 - silence your critics. (not sure of the step numbers, I’ve never tried to take over a democracy and replace it with a monarchy, with me as king)

31 Likes

wtf?

30 Likes

someone’s been whispering ideas into trump’s brain before he goes to sleep again, this whole presidency is just beyond absurd at this point

and apparently we are going to war with Iran for trump’s 2020 re-election plan

24 Likes

I try not to swear in comments, but jeezus goddam fucken christ this is dictator-level bullshit. No wonder he adores Putin, Kim Jong-un and Erdogan so much; he seriously wants to bring that kind of tyranny to America.

19 Likes

Make%20it%20STOP

20 Likes

On the contrary, if you have a top-level security clearance, you may be uniquely qualified to make a credible accusation of treason about activity.

32 Likes

Something tells me this is a high crime and misdemeanor. The list is getting long.

or the 25th Amendment Section 4. It could be invoked.

Get ride of him already.

4 Likes

“The First Amendment…prevents government restrictions on speech.”

Did something change overnight that I’m not aware of? This is not OK.

14 Likes

Ask any govvie: Monetizing your security clearance is the whole point.

Else you’d work in the private sector.

9 Likes

he’s going to threaten to revoke gravity next.

12 Likes

“Whether this is conscious or not, I don’t know. But you can see what’s happening. Trump’s role is to ensure that the media and the public attention are always concentrated on him. So every time you turn on a television set: Trump. Open the front page of the newspaper: Trump. And in order to maintain public attention you have to do something crazy, otherwise nobody’s gonna’ pay attention to you. So everyday there’s one insane thing after another. And while this show is going on in public, in the background, the wrecking crew is working. The guys in the Cabinet who write his executive orders, what they’re doing is systematically dismantling every aspect of government that works for the benefit of the population.”

26 Likes

Brilliant!

I’m sure they’ll now just shut up. /s And be happy to tell you they can’t provide any consultation you might request on issues they were involved in - because you can’t brief them on current circumstances.

7 Likes

In a full meltdown of irony, the Trump White House is complaining about people monetising their government positions.

32 Likes

No, the security clearance was not the point of government work for me. I liked working at the National Security Agency because the strict 40-hour workweek with flextime let me manage my chronic illnesses while I was also working with the mathematics that I loved.

When I was fired from the NSA, my Top Secret//SI security clearance went inactive, but it could have been easily reactivated any time in the next two years. I could have applied for a job in Alexandria, VA, filling out paperwork that required a Top Secret security clearance, but I was too sick to handle the commute, and I wanted a job in mathematics.

8 Likes

Well, this is one way to overshadow the Russia story…
Well done?

1 Like

I’m sure Sanders next response is going to be this:

tumblr_ndut6rKH3x1sg3vmpo8_250

9 Likes

20 Likes

The Hatch Act of 1939 was originally passed because of allegations that local Democratic Party politicians used employees of the Works Progress Administration to campaign for them while on the job. In its current form, the Hatch Act has light restrictions on all federal employees about campaigning and strict restrictions on employees of some government agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Central Intelligence Agency, Secret Service, and National Security Agency. Those strict restrictions include that such employees cannot be candidates for public office in partisan elections, cannot campaign for or against a candidate or slate of candidates in partisan elections, and cannot organize or manage political rallies.

Thus, government employees who work with classified information are accustomed to having their free speech restricted by law.

Restriction by whim of the President is another matter.

11 Likes