Trump to armed border agents: “If judges give you trouble, say, 'Sorry, judge, I can't do it.'”

It’s not an election year. We just had an election five months ago.

If @Elmer can’t talk about direct action now, then when can he?

9 Likes

Counter question. If Elmer can’t stump for the opposing party, get the word out, write editorial, go door to door with the rest of us, what business does he have talking about anything else?

1 Like

It seems some of us are living in a fantasy world where there is an election every day.

You’re literally saying we’re not allowed to talk about anything except elections, ever.

9 Likes

It really depends on what that “direct action” is.

“Extra-legal” could easily be interpreted as some form of vigilantism, or even violent action.

O_o

While 45 may be “immune” to binding laws, ethical standards of society, and CONSEQUENCES for his actions, most of the rest of us are not.

9 Likes

I’ll assume he means nonviolent civil disobedience unless he informs us otherwise.

6 Likes

I won’t.

That rarely ever ends the way one expects it to.

2 Likes

Wrong, since I am literally not saying that. I am literally saying the first course I saw out of Elmer’s mouth was extra-legal action, which is clearly not going to help in any legitimate context.

But really, no ACLU volunteerism? Documentation and archival of atrocities?

Merely “extra-legal”?

I have no intention of waiting on that clarification, when there are legal means at our disposal.

2 Likes

This idea has been kicking around in my brain since the Reagan administration. Thing about that kind of action, is you get exactly one try. Once that attempt is expended, thefe’s no appeal, no recourse, you hope whatever you did was enough to get everything on track. (And be prepared to own those consequences forever).

It serves to remind me that the very term, “corruption” is only a metaphor, and sometimes a deeply inaccurate one. If a boat hull has been corrupted, the boat sinks. But if a government has benn corrupted, it has a self-healing quality that persists no matter how badly wounded its become. More like a biofilm than rust (for example).

There are the kind of rules that are wriiten down, like the constitution… and then there are the kind of rule sets that never get written down, or rather, theyre written in blood. Like the rules that mafias are run by.

Any attempt to remedy this situation by extra-legal means, will have to hew to both kinds of rule sets at the same time. The odds of a wholesome outcome… do not seem very good to me.

4 Likes

You don’t don’t don’t have to wait for an election year to oppose.

ETA: Added a “don’t.” Seemed fitting.

1 Like

i don’t like disagreeing with you but i have to say that the cruelty is just as important as the enriching.

10 Likes

I think we can consider that the default at this point.

4 Likes

Because the republicans (senate especially) are enabling him. We have to vote them ALLLL OUT.

Edit: I see we’re already talking about this above. To which I say, yeah the president has an insane amount of power, and FU to all the people who acted like there was no difference between the candidates or parties in past elections, or who said it’s not a big deal because trump can’t do anything that bad because people around him will keep him in check. The only semblance of an arguement for trump I might see is that he’s so terrible that the backlash would be great and bring out change faster… but I don’t know how that’s working out with all these conservative judges and immigrant families separated etc…

2 Likes

It looks like there’s lots of room.

20 Likes

That’s okay, I’m not infallible; and you’re absolutely right, from all appearances. Sadism definitely seems to be a factor in their motivations.

14 Likes

This is the sort of dangerous behavior which results when impeachment is for whatever reason made (politically) untenable. This is a rogue and inept sociopathic president and if you can’t impeach him then you must be prepared to watch the horror during the 648 days (at least) that you’ve ceded the significant checks and balances against him.

10 Likes

I’d love to impeach him. I have a feeling Mitch ain’t gonna play along as long as he’s majority leader tho.

5 Likes

Trump basically was planning to lose the election (Cohen backed this up-- it was all a marketing ploy), and the fact that he won by winging it, by not caring what people thought, by breaking the law means he is empowered to continue doing whatever he wants. The GOP will keep protecting him. If he wins again in 2020, but the DEMs take control of the Senate, then he will be impeached, the list of transgressions is too long for even wimpy DEMs to ignore, or worry about the optics of impeachment that hurt the GOP under Clinton. Whether there are enough votes to remove him is another matter, but he would be a powerless lame-duck president for the entire second term if it came to that. Ironically he might like that even more.

15 Likes

Anyone outside the GOP base and corporate media really think an ever more unhinged Donnie can act like this for the next 19 months and get reelected? Seriously?

3 Likes

IDK but, clearly the more he rages the more his base swoons. His approval rating is creeping back up even thru all of the shit show of the past two weeks.

Hell, Laura Ingram had an orgasm when she heard that Nielsen was ‘fired’.

5 Likes