Trump to deploy National Guard to southwest border with Mexico, 'to assist Border Patrol' in fighting immigration

6 Likes

Small Arms Across America

16 Likes

I could swear I’ve seen an image of people in a line with their hands linked while each holding a firearm in one of them, but I’ll be damned if I can find it now.

Maybe I’m thinking of a Mister Fish illustration?

That’s sounds like his style…

3 Likes

Angry Cheeto Dbag, doing dbag things again.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which cases you’re referring to. The National Guard is definitely within the purview of the act.

There is an exception if they are acting under the direction of the Governor of a State, but that does not apply here.

There have also been instances where presidents have called in the guard to respond to a national emergency (like after hurricane Katrina), but that’s not primarily a law enforcement role, so it’s not governed by the act.

There have been times (almost all of which involving school desegregation) when the guard has been called in to enforce the law, as allowed by the Enforcement Acts but that only applies in cases where

The Enforcement Acts, among other powers, allow the President to call up military forces when state authorities are either unable or unwilling to suppress violence that is in opposition to the constitutional rights of the people

So, I’ll admit that wikipedia’s not a law degree, but I don’t see how any of these exemptions would be applicable to the border patrol mission

3 Likes

to excite his base already fluffed up by scare stores of Central American “caravans” on their way to destroy the US.

Please.

7 Likes

I don’t live in the US, but is this type of deployment allowable because it’s ostensibly aimed at enforcing foreign policy, rather than domestic policy?

That’s an excellent metaphor- a symbolic effort that didn’t even succeed on its own symbolic terms.

1 Like

Look, buddy, let’s not bring facts and unbiased reporting into this. That will just muddy the waters.

1 Like

FTFY, this is Trump we’re talking about.

8 Likes

There are already detention centers, aka camps. From what I’ve read, the conditions are pretty awful.

7 Likes
  1. Announce imaginary threat.
  2. Threat fails to materialise.
  3. Claim victory.
10 Likes

Posse Comitatus only applies to the army, not other branches of the military.

Let us not forget his followers.

Short-Arms Across America

4 Likes

Well, yeah, I should have said it’s not subject to it in the same way (that the army is, for instance). For one, as you say, state governors can direct them to certain actions, which complicates things here. Also, previous presidents have directed the National Guard to function in “support roles” along the border, so apparently it’s not an issue - perhaps the Guard were not actually apprehending people (which would be problematic). Trump may have different notions about what he thinks the Guard are/should be doing, though. Although this proclamation is being described as “directing the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security to work with governors to deploy National Guard troops,” so that may be their work around for the issues in apprehending people - it’s not the federal government having them do that, but individual states.

What I was pointing at was distinctions in how the National Guard are treated differently than the Army, Navy, etc. National Guards are run by the states (though members are also reserve troops for federal military forces - except legally they’re “militia” not troops. Yeah, I dunno.). So states can make use of National Guard to do things that would be illegal for federal troops. But the National Guard can also be directed into certain domestic actions by the President, albeit in more limited roles. Previous presidents have sent the National Guard to work in “support” Border Patrol, but not actually apprehend border crossers. In this case, it seems like the president is going to be directing the National Guard to work with the states for border patrol work, which could expand their role. But it’ll be the states, in theory, that are actually running things - we’ll see what happens if, for instance, California doesn’t want our Guard used that way.

3 Likes

Oh, I just feel like my (off-) white privilege allows me to lay claim to some “white nonsense.”

3 Likes

1 Like

FTFY
Melania will hate the dust getting on her shoes when she visits the troops.

1 Like

If you start posting your military on a border with another country- they’re likely to feel the need to do the same.

Then of course- comes the Canadian border. So much for those centuries and thousands of miles of unmilitarized borders. I’m guessing that Canada and Mexico will form a North American NATO to implement a policy of containment.

4 Likes

Yeah, but who will want to take immigrants from a “Sh*thole Country”?

3 Likes