Trump to deploy National Guard to southwest border with Mexico, 'to assist Border Patrol' in fighting immigration

I think members of the National Guard would really disagree with your label of, “untrained experts” here.

So, you think they’ve been trained in civilian law enforcement?

They’re trained in killing. That’s what we pay them for. That’s what we train them for. They’re for guarding borders, yes, but against infantry and armor - not civilians.

7 Likes

What does he expect them to do? Shoot migrants? Maybe while they are still on the other side of the border?

1 Like

Kind of explains why they get sent out to help in national disasters I guess.

1 Like

Are you comparing the current state of the US Border Patrol/ ICE to a Natural Disaster?

3 Likes

One might think that, but no, the implication is that their job is not to just be “trained killers”

I’ll revise: their job is to objectify and dehumanize people and treat them like storm debris, with which they have a nearly supernatural talent. Better?

If that makes you feel better, sure.

1 Like

Military personnel are also trained in construction and logistics…so that they can more efficiently kill people.

The occasional use of those skills in civilian disasters is a byproduct.

4 Likes

The Border Patrol already does that. Regularly.

2 Likes

my new favorite phrase for this is “irregular immigration.”

improper entry, as it’s properly named, is only illegal in the sense that other misdemeanors are. public intoxication, disorderly conduct, vandalism, … it’s not that those things arent crimes, but in the grand scheme of things it’s making a mountain out of a mole hole.

here we are throwing billions of dollars away on petty crime, when we could solve the problem by creating a proper temporary worker program and opening the border so people can flow legally over for seasonal work, and back again when the work is done.

people who overstayed their visas - which doesnt even rank as a misdemeanor - or people brought here as children are another kettle of fish. 99% of them are contributing meaningful to this country of theirs. they simply lack the paperwork the rest of us do.

we could get them that paperwork. it’s not hard. instead we want to lock normal everyday people up in shitty detention camps because… freedom?

it literally makes no sense except that people have been whipped up into a frenzy over scary foreigners for the sake of power and money. we are all foreigners here. people just need to chill.

11 Likes

As abhorrent as that is, the difference is border patrol isn’t military.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Don’t care enough to read exactly what a National Guard would do at the border – hey, wait, a second! Can the President call out the Guard, or isn’t just a governor thing since they’re state organizations?
But that’s not my point, this is. An anecdote: We were once told by someone in the Reserves that they were taken down to the southern border for patrolling and shooting at wannabe illegals. Presuming that was true, well, what Donald’s proposing isn’t much different from what’s been policy albeit unreported by our awesome corporate media.

2 Likes

I wonder what budget will get slashed to fund this? I’m guessing it won’t be the Wall Building Fund.

3 Likes

The FY 2018 budget actually puts border wall funding in the DoD column for some reason, so I guess this is it?

3 Likes

The president and Fox news watchers may think that the National Guard will be stopping immigrants at the border. But the reality is that they are not trained, equipped, or legally authorized to do that work. So a few of them will be operating drones, or scanning the desert with night vision goggles, perhaps driving trucks. I’d guess that most of them will be catching up on annual training requirements, and doing BS just so the president can say that he’s doing something.

5 Likes

The Army and Air Force (originally just the Army, then the Air Force was a branch of the army, then it wasn’t, then the act was amended to include the Air Force).

The Navy and Marines have standing policies of abiding by the terms of Posse Comitatus as well, but of course we know that as little as laws mean to 45, norms mean even less.

4 Likes

No problem, I’ve got this eh?

IMG_20180405_085334618

6 Likes

In general immigration violations aren’t even crimes, but civil wrongs. The people who like to refer to “illegal” immigrants as “criminals” don’t really care about the difference, of course.

5 Likes