Trump to hold 'social media summit,' Facebook and Twitter not invited

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/08/trump-to-hold-social-media-s.html

2 Likes

So it’ll be Breitbart, Infowars and Gab?

17 Likes

Can’t say that I’m fond of any of the players in this drama.

6 Likes

Why does he use Twitter so much, if he doen’t like them?

10 Likes

Right wing dipshits complaining about the platforms that got them elected.

Have these imbiciles never heard the phrase “never bite the hand that feeds” and “don’t shit where you eat”?

Even if there was any significant anti right wing bias (as if) it’s just business. The GOP has made it clear, private companies like facebook and twitter don’t owe anybody anything, aren’t common carriers, and arent subject to any regulation.

So what’ll it be GOP? Are you in favor of free enterprise, or regulation?

23 Likes

Looks like it’s all prominent pro-Trump meme-generators or Infowars-esque news sites. PragerU, the anti-LGBT Media Research Center, the alt-right Heritage Foundation, and folks like Bill Mitchell, Carpe Donktum, and mad-liberals. All sources of the sort of MAGA / Pepe the Frog / Qanon / Kekestan crap that infests the worst corners of the internet. (Source)

14 Likes

Exactly my reaction. Let’s see if other actual industry goliaths (MAGA!! Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon) are also uninvited. Or, will their appearance signal collusion with Trump?

4 Likes

Maybe add Parler and Voat for good measure.

3 Likes

Q: Why do we use our phone/cable carriers so much if we so dislike them?
A: Because we must.

Trump feigns Twitter hate but their symbiotic linkage is unbreakable. Neither can exist without the other. Lacking tweets, Trump would be effectively silenced. Lacking Trump, Twitter would blow away. Sick, huh?

1 Like

The hypocrisy is just unreal. States’ rights…unless it’s something we don’t like. Free speech…unless it’s speech we don’t like. Pro life…but the death penalty is totally cool. Free enterprise…as long as it’s furthers our agenda. Second amendment…as long as you’re white. Smaller government…as long as it doesn’t impact military spending. Conservatism in the traditional sense is dead, replaced with pure tribalism.

16 Likes

I bet Reddit’s not invited, but r/The_Donald’s moderation team is.

5 Likes

Everybody loves a pity party…

One moment… puts finger to ear …I’m being informed that actually, no one loves a pity party.

5 Likes

I love this Chrome extension: it makes all Trump’s tweets into crayon lettering that might be scrawled by an 8 year old. At least it allows me some gallows humor while he destroys our democracy…

TRUMP
PRISON

7 Likes

IIRC it was Eisenhower who said that a party without guiding principles is just a gang of power-grabbing thugs. Sound right?

9 Likes

Don’t be so hasty.

1 Like

Shocker.

6 Likes

So, the host asking you to leave when you won’t stop flinging poo at the walls, and the other guests, and occasionally even yourself, is censorship. Got it.

8 Likes

Yep. It’s also censorship when you tell some crazy white guy to get out of your store when starts yelling “imprison all the brown people”!

8 Likes

Alex Jones was given every opportunity to stop being a lying victim blaming asshole. He may not be capable of anything else.

7 Likes

I’d definitely use this if I had some bizarrely masochist compulsion to read the dolt’s twits. I don’t really even use any part ofTwitter.