Trump to host G7 summit at own failing Miami hotel

Not always. The history of presidential corruption scandals is littered with a lot of petty shit.

1 Like

And at the height of hurricane season right in the alley. Admittedly, that is not likely, but it is a seriously bad idea to put leaders of that many powerful countries on a bulls-eye, is it not?

14 Likes

There’s only one world leader I’d wish that on.

7 Likes

That’s what some weather systems may call a Target Rich Environment.
Ooh, that’s also a pun!

9 Likes

I didn’t know Brett Stephens was attending!

3 Likes

It’s to save money on security. If there is a hurricane, that will keep the protesters away, ergo a great deal for the american people. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Mulvaney also claimed there would be no profit because they would do it at cost. That does not cut it because filling the schedule of a declining business, even at break even is still a benefit to trump. Somebody has to take them to court over this.

14 Likes

In a sane US with the government functioning even close to its intended purpose, this would be enough in and of itself to justify impeachment.

Yeah, that fig leaf should only satisfy those who will excuse any behavior from Trump and those who don’t know anything about how businesses work. Filling hundreds of rooms “at cost” just means they are paying for all the staff and fixed costs during that period, which if the alternative is to sit mostly empty, is a huge benefit to the business.

In any event, since no one will audit what “cost” actually means for this resort, does anyone doubt that they’ll still make a healthy profit regardless? And that’s to say nothing of the food, drinks, security, infrastructure, and everything else that most certainly won’t be at “cost.”

18 Likes

As I posted over in the other thread, this is an old developer’s trick when you have a property that needs renovation or expansion. Book an event “at cost” that requires upgrades, and fund the upgrades with the event.

“$1,250,000!?! I thought it was going to be ‘at cost’?”

“It is at cost, but with the number of guests you had, the Fire Marshall required an expansion of our ballroom. See that part in the contract you signed, where it says my cost includes any necessary improvements?”

Of course, in that scenario, the Fire Marshall gets a little bonus on the side. In the Trump scenario, they get a cabinet appointment.

24 Likes

No - if Boris is there, the hurricane can have him too.

10 Likes

He’s even less likely to be the leader of his country in June 2020 than Trump is.

12 Likes

These are two outcomes fervently to be hoped for.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t complain about it, he just wouldn’t be my first choice.

Remember when we were looking forward to Theresa May leaving office?

9 Likes

Oh, that is sooo last season! :wink:

9 Likes

I missed your comment in the other thread, but that is such a good point. You know this dump, in its current state, lacks the security and amenities to host the G-7 summit.

4 Likes

To be honest, we look forward to every Tory Prime Minister leaving.
And most of the Labour ones.
Actually, I’m sensing a pattern…

7 Likes

The fact he’s still our President – or even became our President in the first place while refusing to obey the emoluments clause, show his tax returns, or anything else that previous Presidents complied with – is a fucking travesty for the ages.

“But I like him because he speaks his mind!”

Yeah. No shit he does. Just listen to him. And then think about the mind that’s forming those words.

18 Likes

used to work for a guy that did “cost plus” contracts. It would have been a rare day he only made his “+5”

5 Likes

Obama hosted the G7 at Camp David. Isolated, built for security, owned and operated by the Federal Government. I can see why the White House decided on Trump’s golf course next to Miami’s airport in the suburbs instead.

6 Likes

Meteorite… meteorite,
Projectile that I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Choose the tRump for thy spite.

― hecep
8 Likes