Trump vows to bring U.S. military in to protests, as violent police attacks on protesters and press continue

This. Obama had a very different public persona, but his policy positions had a lot in common with Bush Sr.

5 Likes

I believe so. They know that this is not how this stuff works.

2 Likes

I’m not sure he needs to bother, the cops seem ready to just do executions in the street.

So sad he has no other options, like, oh, arrest. But I suppose he’d be placing himself in danger. Can’t have that. Only the brown people should have to worry about being hurt or killed.

6 Likes

This! I’m surprised nobody in the thread mentioned this until now. The president can’t deploy the military domestically unless a condition of armed insurrection is declared, which requires congress. The national guard can be requested by governors (as has been done in many cases during these protests), but US tanks rolling down streets at the president’s order is a long way from being possible at this moment.

7 Likes

With enough dissident congresscritters in protective custody, such a declaration is no problem.

2 Likes

Or, as seems to be the Trump Way, do it anyway because the courts will take years to sort it out and in the meantime you get what you want. It’ll be decades past the end of Trump’s time in office before all the lawsuits and legal challenges started by his actions are settled.

7 Likes

But that will take a long string of people in the Military hierarchy willing to flaunt the law and the constitution. No doubt he has several in his pocket, but never all of them.

2 Likes

Likely true, indeed. Although I was surprised that seemingly all involved went along with Trump’s “crush the people so I can walk down to the church” thing. I wonder where that line is? How big an “op” could he ask for that soldiers and cops would still swallow their principles and do? Maybe we’ll find out.

4 Likes

Get a load of this: 10 bus loads of active troops come to Washington. How is this legal?

5 Likes

Clearly illegal.

2 Likes

It’s legal because Washington D.C. is not a State with a Governor.
Here’s an excerpt from a longer article at lawfare.com:

*The capacity in which members of the National Guard act largely governs *
the extent to which they are subject to posse comitatus restrictions. In the absence of an express activation of their Title 10 status, members of the National Guard remain the armed forces of their individual states under Title 32. As a result, they are not subject to posse comitatus restrictions. Once called into federal service, however, members of the Guard cease acting as agents of the state and instead become armed forces of the federal government to whom posse comitatus restrictions apply.

One notable exception to this straightforward system is the National Guard of Washington, D.C. While D.C. is not a state, Congress authorized Washington to form its own militia in the early 1800s. This entity later became the D.C. National Guard. Subsequent laws governing the D.C. National Guard were either enacted by Congress or adopted by city officials pursuant to delegations from Congress, making them a type of federal law. Notably, for this reason, the president—and not the city’s mayor—is the commander in chief of the D.C. National Guard, though the president has since delegated this authority to the secretary of the army.

And here’s a link to the full article. It’s a long but interesting read:

That being posted never forget Trump has William Barr the U.S. Attorney General tucked tightly in his girdle. Barr has authorized almost everything Donald Trump has asked for as long as he has the slightest thread of legality on his side.

It sucks to live in D.C. right now with King Donald in charge.

3 Likes

Unfortunately it’s not that clear when you’re talking Washington DC.

I’m sure Trump would like to kill Native Americans as much as Jackson did…

6 Likes

The ongoing American tragedy that we still won’t talk about.

7 Likes

Yes - thanks for your post above.

Thankfully it will take governors going along with this to happen anywhere else. At least it won’t happen in blue states.

3 Likes

A couple days ago DJT tweeted “the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat” so Native Americans aren’t the only targets.

Unfortunately, it’s present-tense:

https://navajotimes.com/coronavirus-updates/covid-19-across-the-navajo-nation/

3 Likes

You’re correct.

3 Likes