Trump vows to bring U.S. military in to protests, as violent police attacks on protesters and press continue

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/02/trump-vows-to-bring-u-s-milit.html

“NYC, CALL UP THE NATIONAL GUARD. The lowlifes and losers are ripping you apart. Act fast!” Trump tweeted on Tuesday.

4 Likes

Lol with that many pissed off young people hitting the street, I doubt the military could end up doing that much. I can imagine a bunch of them trashing Fox News headquarters and the police, national guard & military being completely unable to stop them.

3 Likes

All of Trump’s previous comments about how “strong” China was in its response to the Tiananmen protests (originally made in 1990 but essentially repeated in 2016) shows exactly how he feels the current situation should be addressed. Massacring a bunch of protestors is what he thinks the “strong” (i.e. “good”) response is, and “weak” is the opposite of what he wants to be seen as. This is what he wants. He couldn’t make it any more clear.

20 Likes

9 Likes

Elsewhere around the U.S. today, 5 officers were shot and wounded, as police attack crowds nationwide who have gathered to peacefully protest the killing of George Floyd.

Who shot them? Protesters? White nationalists? Friendly fire? This seems like it should be kind of a big deal, but even the original article glosses over it completely.

12 Likes

Oooh, did you tweet that from your bunker, tough guy?

12 Likes

He just said on twitter he has done more for POC than any other president.

17 Likes

Unfortunately, the military could do a whole lot. I agree that there is an overwhelming movement happening right now and military action would likely galvanize the protests, but even Obama had no issue with killing American citizens who were inconvenient to the whims of the state.

Also:

11 Likes

He’s comparing himself to Andrew Jackson. Debatable.

12 Likes

Though, Axl has been anti-Trump from the start.

10 Likes

Probably because it’s not clear. In Vegas a cop was shot at the end of a protest , but the details are sketchy and it’s not clear if the guy they picked up was part of the protest or just saw it and was using as cover to do some mayhem. (Elsewhere in Vegas on the same night, a dude loaded up with guns and body armor showed up at a courthouse and got shot up when he “went for his gun,” which sounds more like a right-wing thing.) In St Louis, the police department tweeted that four officers were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after having been shot while standing in a police line during a protest. But no one seems to know who fired the shots. Presumably not friendly fire in that case, as the cops aren’t reported to have been shooting.

7 Likes

Reminds me of another guy who ordered soldiers to shoot protestors - Nicolae Ceaușescu. Maybe somebody should mention what happened to him to the Ill Douche since I suspect he’s not much of a reader of history.

8 Likes

trump-as-hitler

15 Likes

He wouldn’t care, Ceaușescu was clearly a loser who got himself captured by antifa

11 Likes

Oops. He meant “to.” “to POC than any other president.”

Although maybe he does think that. He seems to want to be associated with Lincoln. He’s living in his own world while fucking up ours.

11 Likes
4 Likes

Will US military commanders refuse illegal orders from their CIC?

1 Like
4 Likes

It’s like I’m watching Interdimensional Cable…

8 Likes

Fixed that for you. Is your editor on vacation??

4 Likes