Trump wants to fire DNI Dan Coats, eliminate 'unnecessary' Office of Director of National Intelligence: Axios

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/odni-rip-trump-wants-to-elim.html

4 Likes

Kompromat president thinks firing people who can put him in prison won’t just blackmail him either.

20 Likes

Trump is insecure around people who have intelligence, even if its in their title.

28 Likes

What’s next: One potential replacement Trump has mentioned to multiple sources is Fred Fleitz, who formerly served as chief of staff to national security adviser John Bolton.

• Fleitz was previously a CIA analyst and a staff member of the House Intelligence Committee. He is currently the president of the Center for Security Policy.
  • Trump has told people that he likes Fleitz and has “heard great things.” Fleitz has publicly criticized Coats and even called for Trump to fire Coats on Lou Dobbs’ Fox Business program after Coats’ Senate testimony. Fleitz accused Coats of undermining and “second-guessing” the president.

Cue my inevitable lack of surprise.

14 Likes

One less person who’d be involved in Article 25ing him.

12 Likes

“Not politically possibly” doesn’t seem to apply to Trump. Republicans are cowards afraid to oppose him even when their most cherished principles are being violated, and Democrats are . . . . well . . . . .

8 Likes

Well… it doesn’t seem like the sort of thing that comes up in the news very often and I would have had a hard time distinguishing it from the NSA or CIA or whatnot. But then, it’s not my job to know about these things.

1 Like

Does anybody really think that trump comes up with this shit on his own?

Putin-GIF|nullxnull

21 Likes

Trump is probably right about this one. (File under stopped watch right twice a day)

Anything with George W Bush, Negroponte, and Clapper in its origin story is not likely existing for good reasons.

10 Likes

Clearly, Trump has nothing to do with intelligence.

3 Likes

Tariffs are also politically impossible. Keeping children without soap or toothbrushes is both politically and legally impossible.

Trump’s favourite show must be Luna Petunia: “Let’s make the impossible possible today!”

15 Likes

Well, for once Trump is right: the DNI never tells Trump anything that makes any difference.

2 Likes

And those would be? (Answer that and you might clear up the confusion.)

4 Likes

That was my first thpught as well, kinda like with North Korea. He’s doing the right thing but fuck it canNOT be for the right reasons. Coming from Trump it feels a little like a fox advocating for free-range chickens…

Well, that and the garish, overwrought design aesthetic…

5 Likes

Trump - a wholly owned subsidiary of VLad Co, LLC - a Delaware Corporation.

14 Likes

Well since all the administration is ignore any reports this department produces it does make a sad kind of sense.

1 Like

and nuke the entire ODNI from orbit

The little person (w/ really, really small hands) inside Trump’s brain: gotta fire him, it’s the only way to be sure.

Unprompted?

No, I suspect Trump’s buddy Vladimir Vladimirovich “prompted” the idea.

(Oh, @Akimbo_NOT beat me to it.)

3 Likes

Trump knows that ODNI is loyal to security of the US and not solely to him. Plus Putin wants ODNI emasculated if it can’t be totally eliminated.

4 Likes

Anymore? Haven’t we been hearing during his entire time in office that he has been ignoring his advisors and doesn’t read? There must be some other reason, like he won’t pledge loyalty.

1 Like