Trump will not make a state visit to UK unless Theresa May bans protests

Thanks @beschizza, as that’s where I heard it from… so very apt for some dudes.

5 Likes

It wouldn’t work, though. People hate him enough there that they’d find ways around any actions taken to prevent protests. This is why he’ll never visit the UK.

1 Like

I don’t know why I even bothered to check, but the claim in Cory’s clickbait headline is not supported by the linked article.

It’s too far a stretch from:

until she could promise him a warm welcome.

to:

unless Theresa May bans protests

4 Likes

Here is something that puzzles me. May is spineless, thats given, but why does she associate with Orange Bastard Poopface then? A spineless person would normally avoid anything like the plague that would make him or her look terrible. And nothing makes you look more terrible that being lodged firmly up Poopfaces flabby arse.

I don’t know, but someone paid for the Ulster Unionists, and the bots trolling for her cause that got her Brexit and the election; and she seems to feel she owes him something. It is very tempting to put these two facts together somehow.

The only one who seems to have come out ahead is our Queen. She has always hated racisim, and been for better foreign relations. Usually she has a largely symbolic role and keeps her opinions to herself, but she won’t have anything to do with Trump, and opened parliament in that European Flag outfit. I doubt we will ever meet, but if you read of someone being carted off for giving the Monarch a Great Big Hug, then it might be me.

5 Likes

This phone call was the middle of last year and caused a stir at the time but wasn’t interpreted as a request for a ban on protests. As you say, the article doesn’t back the claims.

When did they stop?

2 Likes

All waving in a friendly fashion of course.

1 Like

Well, it sort of was - given that any sane person knew that the only way there wouldn’t be any protests is if people were physically prevented from protesting.

Given also that the UK has form in that respect, yes a lot of people did see the conversation as being a tacit statement that the only way we’d get a state visit is if we banned protests.

2 Likes

The Government is anxious to sign free trade agreements that might help to compensate for the loss of free trade with the EU. Trump has promised a quick free trade deal, so May thinks she can’t afford to cold-shoulder him.

5 Likes

I’ve not been able to find any sources saying that Trump demanded of May protest bans.

Can you find any citations?

1 Like

Read what I wrote again and think about it.

Good day to you.

4 Likes

That’s May’s signature addition to English politics isn’t it? She wasn’t (publicly) for leaving the EU, but even long before that seemed possible she was for getting the European Convention on Human Rights out of UK law. It is quite extraordinary that a key policy should be stopping protection of human rights. The particular ironies in this case are that the UK has been historically treated incredibly leniently by the court for its human rights abuses in NI. And the notion that it’s some kind of leftist conspiracy when of course it’s in fact a right wing outgrowth of the post Second World War international order intended to promote liberal democracy as a bulwark against communism. There were left wing frameworks available and discussed during the creation of the Fundamental Declaration of Human Rights and the Council of Europe and the ECHR, but they lost, and what won was the right wing, liberal conception.

7 Likes

The European Convention on Human Rights was (partially) written by a British Conservative politician as well.

I don’t think the Brexit brigade realised that it and the European Court of Human Rights are separate from the EU.

8 Likes

Some did. None of them have ever cared.

The animosity in both cases arises as far I can tell purely from the fact that it is outsiders (read foreigners) deciding things about Britain.

This is apparently intolerable. Even when we set up the body, made its rules and provide judges to it.

If the Daily Mail wants someone deported, then the Home Office had damn well better deport them, by Jingo. And no namby-pamby promises we may have made in the past about how we’d treat people can be allowed to get in the way.

Still, can’t really blame them since governments of all make-ups happily told the public that they’d love to do $latest_crazy_demand, if only (if only), the nasty EU/ECJ/ECHR would let them, rather than saying “No, we are not going to do this batshit crazy thing, because it is batshit crazy and we, as rational, humane people are not going to do it”.

7 Likes

I’ll welcome him with the traditional two finger salute

7 Likes

What? She only became PM some time AFTER the Brexit vote and before it, she was quietly a remainer, the UK taxpayer is paying for the Ulster Unionists (‘austerity - but not if when it comes to buying votes!’) and if someone paid for bots driving trollies for her, they are not doing a very good job (and certainly did a crap one during the election she nearly lost)

1 Like

Just look at it.

1 Like

Well, there’s this:

Amid warnings that Trump would face protests in the streets when he arrived, he told the prime minister he would not be coming to the U.K. until she could promise him a warm welcome.

What form do you think “warm welcome” consists of? Certainly not any protests.

That said, he was chatting to May again yesterday at Davos and apparently the visit is back on the cards, time to start planning my protest signs again…

3 Likes

Did the linked article say that? No, it did not.

If one’s argument wholely relies on extrapolation and supposition, one does not have an argument, and should STFU. Especially when one has a reputation for vacuous polemicism.
(Which means I’m referring to Cory, not L0ki :wink: )

[Weasel words] [Citation required]

It could have been about a massive PR campaign. It could have been about banning protest. It could have been about flooding the streets with people paid to cheer.

One or more of these suggestions is absurd. But we don’t know which, and in the absence of cold, hard facts, I’m not going to jump to a conclusion which happens to accord with a polemicist’s personal agenda.

An extraordinary claim about banning protest needs extraordinary proof.
I’d reluctantly extend that to reasoned analysis by a source proven to be reliable, which we definitely don’t have.

1 Like