Trump will not make a state visit to UK unless Theresa May bans protests

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/25/unfit-for-office.html

5 Likes

Christ, what a late stage capitalism!

17 Likes

On one hand, Trump’s demand is patently ridiculous and shows just how thin-skinned he really is. Getting the police to enforce a warm welcome, just wow.

On the other hand, May is so utterly spineless i would not be surprised in the slightest if she agreed to it.

The only plus point is that i can’t see there being no protests about Trump, regardless of whether they’re legal or not, but that could end up in potential riots or other such mess :confused:

19 Likes

I’m sure they want to be able to get away with banning all forms of protests, but then they’d actually have to go through with the visit, which they’re obviously desperately trying to get out of.

12 Likes

She would if she could, but she can’t. So all she’s left with is arguing with a spoiled 11-year-old boy.

The only way for him to avoid protests abroad is to visit a truly authoritarian country or go to a locked-down venue like Davos. I’m sure if he goes to Russia his Uncle Vlad will make sure he feels like the person he believes he is.

15 Likes

Home of the Brave

5 Likes

And because he’s the most delicate little snowflake this world has ever known.

27 Likes

I’ve begun to suspect that the police in the UK stopped “kettling” and such not because they developed any ethics, but because the protestors just melt and relocate every time the police show up, only to reappear the next day like some sort of magic trick.

3 Likes

Well, but also a place with a long history of summarily canceling free speech rights at the drop of a hat, and whose current government recently made “repealing the Human Rights Act” a key selling point of its election platform.

17 Likes

It has been noted that we would, in fact, be holding a celebration, not a protest.
Admittedly, it would be a celebration of the fact that he’s not our President, but it wouldn’t be a protest…

15 Likes

So Trump wants a warm welcome, does he? I think the UK can arrange that since it shouldn’t be too difficult to modify an effigy of Guy Fawkes to look more like Trump.

8 Likes

dRump’s demanding there be no protests because he’s deathly afraid of everyone that isn’t in his personal circle. His worldview is that the world is a dangerous and frightening place, hence his love of authoritarian figures. He can’t deal with anyone he’s not in a position to bully or buy because he’s terrified of them.
He’ll be a Howard Hughes style past president, never seen and tweeting from his fortress in Trump Tower (or jail, though I’m not holding my breath).

6 Likes

Who does he think he is, the International Olympics Committee?

24 Likes

. . .whose Bill of Rights bans the government from making a law “respecting…the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances,”

If that were what the First Amendment said, then what Trump asked May for would be OK.

4 Likes

Why not a rally entirely of thousands of silent guy fawkes’?

7 Likes

Truly, the king of the bro-flakes!

5 Likes

You win all the everything. Boingiest comment evar. Thank you.

3 Likes

I would not hold it against the Brits if their typical celebrations included massive, howling, cursing crowds holding posters that just happened to be critical of any US president who just happened to be present on the day of celebration.

4 Likes

ohhhh, that’s going in my lexicon.

3 Likes