Trump won't pay Rudy Giuliani's legal bills

Shocking. But then, put not your faith in princes, yet this prince looked so very trustworthy…LordFarquaad(ShrekCharacter)

I thought Rudy was working Pro Bono for the Don Bozo?

Giuliani returned to his law firm and, as the Mueller investigation got under way, he kept in touch with the President and his legal team. In March of 2018, Jay Sekulow told Giuliani that the relationship between the President and John Dowd, his lead defense attorney, had deteriorated. He asked whether Giuliani would consider replacing him, and Giuliani was receptive. Trump made him a formal offer over dinner at Mar-a-Lago and Giuliani left his law firm again to work for the President pro bono.

What is Rudy billing, time/work, or just expenses?

4 Likes

If anybody should have known that any agreement or contract with Trump is worthless, Rudy should have.

5 Likes

Presumably Rudy is still hoping for a pardon, though, no?

1 Like

Trump only pays for results, and only if he can’t avoid it. The only exception appears to be immediate family, but for him that’s the same as paying himself.

2 Likes

“Ah, this face eating thing has been going on for a long time~”!

Museum_of_Sousse_-_Mosaics_2_detail|400x400

3 Likes

Well according to him, who knows?

Giuliani rejected these reports, saying that Trump would work out a payment for him after the court challenges had ended

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rudy-giuliani-demands-20000-a-day-to-fight-trump-s-election-court-battles/ar-BB1b9ndY

I suspect getting paid for ‘legal’ work was not high on his agenda. The chance to cement his status as a ‘leader’ of the MAGA cult was probably enough.

That gets you what money can’t buy you - adulation and crowds chanting for you.

It also gets you money of course. Almost certainly far more money than Trump would ever pay.

We’ll see whether it works out for him or whether the failure and obvious incompetence of his legal campaign has turned too many of the MAGAs against him.

3 Likes
10 Likes

He’s even quoted that they’d “Work it out in the end.” Such self-awareness.

I CANNOT stop laughing.

8 Likes

I have a friend who to this day still loves Trump for his “billions of dollars and his hot, supermodel wife.” This guy is a rags-to-modest-riches computer programmer who sees Trump as an aspiration figure. He just refuses to see the truth that Trump is a bankrupt grifter. People believe what they want to believe.

12 Likes

LOL. Like no one saw that coming.

4 Likes

Even by Forbes conservative estimates, Trump Org still has billions in assets that can be liquidated to cover these loans (as noted in your links). However, it would mean selling some high profile properties such as Seven Springs and one or more of his treasured golf clubs. Possibly his private 757 as well.

It would be a very public humiliation for someone like Trump to have to liquidate since it appears none of his usual banking sources are willing to extend him any more loans, but it would hardly break him financially. He may be able to restructure some of his debt but it sounds like that’s going to prove harder than previously thought.

It’s the future income streams that he should be most concerned about. Other than his rather modest government pension, his other sources of income are struggling right now due to the COVID situation - office towers with no tenants, hotels with no guests and golf clubs with no memberships. He’d be forced to sell the most valuable properties and scale back his opulent lifestyle, which for a narcissist like Trump, the optics of this is far worse than going bankrupt.

12 Likes

If he gets impeached and convicted, he will not be eligible for a government pension.

3 Likes

Maybe turmp and Rudy had one of those “we win or you don’t pay” deals I see on TV.

4 Likes

Does anybody remember who Benedict Arnold’s lawyer was? Just asking.

6 Likes

I was thinking more that Rudy was whispering in Trump’s ear, to keep the challenges going, so Rudy would be paid more.

2 Likes

Guess that means Rudy’s hopes for a pardon have just gone up in smoke.

Enjoy the schadenfreude everyone.

5 Likes

That would be the same mayor who put the city’s disaster control office in the WTC after it had been previously bombed?

6 Likes

You don’t get a public defender in a civil suit. Lawyer up or you’re on your own.

I will bet their is either no contract at all or, unless Trump is an even bigger dunderhead than he seems, Guiliani was actually hired by by the Republicans or some minor Trump corporation set up just to handle this so it can be liquidated rather than pay anyone anything.
Rich Person Rule #1 is to never be personally on the hook for anything. Trump does break that rule because he is a toxic loan risk to most banks and that’s why Deutsche Bank will own him when some things come due.
Trump has so many chickens coming home to roost Colonel Sanders wants to hire him as a supplier.

7 Likes

“I only pay winners.” D.T. Rump

3 Likes