Trumplings triggered by NPR's July 4 tweets of the Declaration of Independence

That’s the interesting thing. The declaration is a stand against tyranny and oppression, and the pro-Trump camp being upset about the tweets says a lot. I wonder if any of them had a moment of enlightenment over Trump himself and his anti-democratic tendencies… probably not.

23 Likes

These were the same thin-skinned teaparty jackasses who walked around for the previous 8 years with shirts that read “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants”.

Because, ahem…“calling for an open revolution” by tweeting the Declaration of Independence is way worse than calling for the president’s blood in not-so-coded language.

30 Likes

Yep. The few people I’ve known who have them (don’t worry, they’ll let you know they carry a pocket Consitution around with them) clearly never read anything but the 2nd amendment, it’s just posturing.

6 Likes

It’s not (just) about their stupidity, though. Like the negative reaction of Trumpists to recent fictions where the heroes take on authoritarians and fascists - Trumpists seeing those figures as Trump-surrogates - it’s a disturbing insight into how Trumpists view Trump and what he (and they) stand for, and how they project themselves onto Trump’s opponents.

9 Likes

I always thought this track (recorded in London, by subjects of Her Majesty) had a similar effect:

Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!

3 Likes

3 Likes
5 Likes

There are two types of personality. Type A. And not Type A. This POV is only valid if you are Type A.

You may well think there are multifaceted beauties everywhere, and not be incorrect. But know your audience. Your depth is not in everyone else. Not everyones depth is accessible to them, or calming to them.

3 Likes

From the comments on the article:

[quote]Terence Murray · Jersey City, New Jersey:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

—Isaac Asimov

[/quote]

I don’t think that I can top that.

24 Likes

I praise NPR for doing this. As for the people who have an issue with it…

http://imgur.com/ME4g6FC

17 Likes

…May he turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limp.

7 Likes

I just realized who OJs gloves would fit!

6 Likes

But that’s the opposite of what NPR did. Reading scripture one verse at a time can be good for both devotion and scholarship, but only in the larger context. Likewise, a bit of the Declaration, taken out of context, is easy to misinterpret. The Trumplings proved this nicely.

3 Likes

Context is for libtards

11 Likes

I hate Twitter too but I’ll acknowledge its restrictive format does lead to many entertaining, bite-sized, and well-crafted chunks of humor, insight, and wit. But I won’t comb that wasteland myself looking for them. I’ll patiently wait for them to rise to the top and appear on other sites (imgur most often in my case).

6 Likes

That’s the crazy thing: NPR’s been broadcasting live-readings of the Declaration of Independence on the 4th of July for 27 years, and ‘live-tweeting’ it for years. Yes, one can read a single tweet and take phrases out of context (like many Trump fans did with the bits referring to King George III). But wouldn’t it be the same if someone tuned past NPR on the radio and just heard a few sentences in the middle of the Declaration being read on-air?

21 Likes

Oh I agree that probably it’s BEST use is witty one liners and observations.

Anything deep or nuanced it’s not good for.

What a bunch of maroons.

11 Likes

This is why the Repubs like Putin too.
Their support of the current president is not patriotic, they’re just authoritarians.

14 Likes