Trump's bragging undermines his "wasn't me" fraud defense

Originally published at: Trump's bragging undermines his "wasn't me" fraud defense

7 Likes

If he gets incarcerated before the election; I still worry about what might replace him.

Not enough to not want to see him gone - but it’s still an embarrassment of deplorables in the race.

7 Likes

Trump’s bragging undermines his “wasn’t me” fraud defense

Has any defendant EVER been more of his own worst enemy?

Trump’s lawyer, calling him to the stand: “Your honor, permission to treat the witness as hostile.”

5 Likes

Make a career out of lying, and eventually, you’re bound to run into problems with story consistency.

4 Likes

Even Shaggy can barely get away with that defense.

shaggy-wasnt-me

6 Likes

Braggarts inevitably end up screwing themselves one way or another, and it’s so satisfying when they do.

4 Likes

I think all his voters would still just vote from him and, unless I’m mistaken, he’d still be electable able to be elected.

5 Likes

“Nonetheless, three additional constitutional provisions may be relevant. First, at least some of the charges Trump faces could be deemed “high crimes and misdemeanors” within the meaning of Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution, thus warranting impeachment by the House and removal by the Senate. Second, if Trump is actually in prison on Inauguration Day, that fact could render him “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office” within the meaning of the Twenty-fifth Amendment. Third, depending on the nature and disposition of the charges brought by Smith, Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment could render Trump ineligible to hold any federal office, including the presidency, in virtue of his “having previously taken an oath . . . to support the Constitution” but then having “engaged in insurrection or rebellion.””

I wonder if he could be impeached after the election; but before his term begins. I think it’s accepted that a President can be impeached after his term is over for crimes during his presidency. But would that apply prospectively?

6 Likes

Ah, good info. I’ve been following his 14th Amendment trials but hadn’t thought of the other two. They’re all clearly applicable and I hope the charges stick.

4 Likes

And I Shudder to think who his VP will be, to take his place!!!

4 Likes

If they couldn’t get Republicans to support a conviction in the Senate after January 6, when it looked like Trump’s goose was cooked anyway, then it seems nigh impossible to get them to support one now that he’s the clear Republican frontrunner for 2024.

6 Likes

Trump could certainly be sworn in in prison – there is no rule that says it must happen in a specific place. (There would presumably be even less of a crowd than the first time around, but Trump would of course claim the contrary.)

Trump running the presidency from prison would be a huge hassle for everyone except himself. Foreign leaders will probably be relieved if the guy doesn’t show up in person for summit meetings and stuff.

2 Likes

It could save a lot of people the commute since so many of his supporters are there already.

7 Likes

By this time next year, he’ll be bragging about how huge his prison cell is.

2 Likes

“The classiest, really the best prison cell!”

The schmuck will probaby insist on having his name over the slammer door in gold letters.

2 Likes

He’s safer that it’s only branding and that he didn’t actually build it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.