Trump's budget eliminates Arts and Humanities Endowments, privatizes public broadcasting

Yes, that would be correct.

Yeah… art, what has it every done for humanity that deserves recognition from our government… same for the humanities… /s

26 Likes

That’s a deeply nearsighted view.
Art is important. PBS and NPR and NEA are all powerful positive forces for our society.

29 Likes

Well, if they are so darn important, some rich person will fund them, right? /s

23 Likes

The only kind of view that you get from a Libertarian these days.

You beat me to posting that video. Fred Rogers was awesome in all kinds of ways.

18 Likes

Like a good Christian.

5 Likes

Watching PBS with my toddler, I have noticed that the “helping people hurts them” message is conspicuously absent from Sesame Street and Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.

21 Likes

Replace Christian with Muslim and watch public broadcasting get banned.

6 Likes

The O.P. is the one who brought up an irrelevant Nazi analogy to begin with.

If only we could rid ourselves of the shackles of government propaganda being imposed upon us in the arts and entertainment, we’d have more time to enjoy the wonders of unbiased, thoughtful, and wholesome corporate programming (like, for example, The Apprentice). The market always decides everything perfectly in the realms of media, arts, and entertainment, as we can see looking over the current magnificent landscape outside the Nazi-esque hellscapes of PBS, NPR, and artists with NEA endowments.

24 Likes

Pure political theater. He gets to publicly hurt liberal causes while not actually addressing the problem.

10 Likes

3 Likes

If I weren’t on my phone right now, I’d respond to you with a gif of a very violently hissing kitteh. In a civilized society, the arts transcend politics. But, hey, if you desire being that guy…help yourself.

21 Likes

“Piss Christ” was not funded by the NEA. It received an award that was funded by the NEA, but it’s not as if the government paid the artist to create the work.

22 Likes

Of course PBS hasn’t created anything worthwhile recently. /s

One can only hope the Mycroft-equivalent is on the job behind the scenes.

9 Likes

personally i wish it had been funded directly from the national endowment for the arts. i thought the whole instance of using that work as a way of defunding support for the arts was a disgrace to a free society.

5 Likes

Unlikely. Unless budgets allow negative numbers.

Congressional Budget Office:

“BUDGET PROJECTIONS FOR FY 2016
(As of August 2016)
OUTLAYS $3.9 Trillion”

Or perhaps, imaginary numbers.

2 Likes

Well, then we fight. I believe that will always be the answer for this admission, endless fighting, endless conflict util that orange fuck is broken.

1 Like

So what you’re telling me is that since the election, the federal government has spent almost as much on security for Trump Tower in NY as it spends each year on the NEA.

10 Likes

Gee Mr. Trump, shouldn’t people WHO ACTUALLY PAY FEDERAL TAXES be making those decisions? :rolling_eyes:

20 Likes