Trump's chances of winning sink to 8% amid Republican fears Clinton may take Texas

I find this exciting. Not because I’m particularly thrilled at the thought of Hillary winning, but because I viciously want to see Trump lose. I want the GOP to know that they can’t pull together enough bigots to make a party anymore.

26 Likes

To be fair, even maps of states where the Dems win look a lot like this. Here’s Washington from 2012, where Obama won by 15 points:

The red tide is helpful for winning House seats, but in state-wide elections, the number of voters in the blue areas is much larger than the amount of blue on the map would lead you to believe. That said, Texas has been “about to go blue” for at least 3 or 4 elections now. Trump flipping Latinos in record numbers could affect the calculus this time around, but only if enough of them actually vote.

16 Likes

And explain how they were rigged in states with Republican administrations who actually run the elections.

14 Likes

You and me - I want to see a real ‘Downfall’ of a concession speech.

10 Likes

Houston has been blue inside the loop for a long while.

12 Likes

IMHO there are two factors at play, here.
1.) The “centerist” Democrats have poached a fair number of the Bankers and Businessmen crowd from the Republicans. This has given the “high crazy” a much higher percentage of votes within the party.
2.) The less-self destructive wing of the Republican party drew the wrong lesson from the “Tea-Party” revolt. Instead of moderating their punish-the-poor and give-ever-more to the rich platform, they doubled down on the poor white identity politics. It barely worked to maintain control in 2012 and 2014. But now, in 2016 the inmates are in charge of the asylum.

14 Likes

Hardly anybody lives in the red parts. Obama only won 26 of the 254 Texas counties, but he won 41% of the popular vote.

I don’t think Clinton will flip Texas this year, but it will happen by 2024. When it does happen, the map will not look that different from the 2012 map.

6 Likes

You say ‘Downfall’ but I think it would be more of ‘Falling Down’ …

“I’m the bad guy?”

5 Likes

Yes I know. Was just trying to show where the blue parts were. New York State colored by country looks similar – at least in past elections.

7 Likes

I live in Austin and it’s getting close enough that I might vote this year. Last election I saw a lot of Romney signs around my neighborhood. This year, I haven’t seen a single Trump sign. I have seen a few Trump bumper stickers though.

3 Likes

Please vote. Always vote.

12 Likes

It looks pretty damning. So did this at the time:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/03/08/james-okeefe-pays-100000-to-acorn-employee-he-smeared-conservative-media-yawns/amp/?client=ms-android-google

9 Likes

I have one neighbor in Austin who has a Trump lawn sign. It’s a “Deplorables for Trump” one. Their lawn’s dead with crap strewn over it - I need get a photo at some point.

11 Likes

What about this?

Is there unedited video around anywhere?

5 Likes

Acorn was shut down, and the videos still turned out to be fraudulent.

9 Likes

Just going to post this, given O’Keefe’s track record.

5 Likes

Yeah, I mean, it certainly looks bad. But I don’t see any reason to trust anything O’Keefe reports.

The DNC response is fairly predictable:

The DNC quickly distanced itself from the accusations. Donna Brazile, the interim DNC chair, said O’Keefe “is a convicted criminal with a history of doctoring video to advance his ideological agenda” and that the practices have nothing to do with long-term efforts by the group.“The practices described in the video by this temporary regional sub-contractor do not in any way comport with our long standing policies on organizing events, and those statements and sentiments do not represent the values that the Committee holds dear,” Brazile said in a statement. “We do not believe, or have any evidence to suggest, that the activities articulated in the video actually occurred.”

4 Likes

[citation required]

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter. If unedited video comes out it will be after the election, the true believers will believe on either side. I have friends who still cite the hit pieces on Acorn and planned parenthood. The right has done a great job muddying the waters, and the centrist left has done a poor job countering them.

4 Likes