Trump's delusional rage hits boiling point as all 50 states certify Biden win

Worth noting, no, Alito didn’t dismiss it.

He referred it to the full court which then voted to hear it and then immediately voted to dismiss it.

8 Likes

The only thing I wonder about is: Why did Trump suddenly care about those two Georgia Senate seats?

Maybe Mitch read the Riot Act to him, but when has that ever worked? Maybe he thought that he had do his part to earn his control of the Republican party post-election? But when has he ever thought he needed to earn anything?

I can’t think of any reason that the Republicans would need those seats before the 20th. They currently lead 50-48, and even if the Democrats win both, Pence is still the tie-breaker.

Is there anything specific that benefits/protects Trump if the Republicans remain in control of the Senate after the 20th?

4 Likes

I think his belief is that Pence is still the vice president after the 20th.

But that said, he doesn’t care about those two senators. He just realizes he gets more airtime if he campaigns for them than if he just rants about his election being stolen.

If you listen to what he says when he’s campaigning for them, it’s back to all about him and the rigged election.

8 Likes

Oops, but what if Pence is then the Acting President, and Pardoner-in-Chief? No tie-breaker. They can still stall any Democratic motion, but can’t ram through Republican ones. (The odds of being able to slot an Acting VP in time seem pretty far against.)

4 Likes

Or people running against Catholics.

Biden will be the second Catholic President after JFK. There have also been two unsuccessful Catholic nominees- Al Smith in 1928, and John Kerry in 2004- neither of whom won Ohio or Florida. So it would be just as accurate to say that Catholics can’t carry those states…

2 Likes

We have a pretty good track record for criminal politicians in Maryland. Governors Spiro Agnew pled No Contest to felony tax fraud and Marvin Mandel was convicted of mail fraud* We amended the state constitution to prevent Tommie Broadwater from being elected to the house of delegates while in prison for food stamp fraud.

*later overturned on technical grounds.

6 Likes

Sssshhhhhh.

Sometimes, when you have that one piece of annoying little shit clinging on, refusing to be flushed away, all you need is the right tool.

Go! Go! Giant Magical Toilet Brush!

8 Likes

I want in on this. Can we add ranked choice voting to our wish list?

3 Likes

Considering that the Attorney General who started the suit here in Texas is under indictment on a federal fraud case and facing 99 years if convicted, I can see a very clear reason for the suit. You’ll find some similar stories in at least (3?) of the other states that joined in and the rest probably just jumped on the bandwagon to impress their base.

12 Likes

If Trump’s right, the whole ballot has to be thrown out, in virtually every state. There are no election results that could be trusted from corruption this deep and wide. Which means that any office that depended on the last election is unfilled. We essentially have no legitimate government at this point–if we buy Trump’s complaint.

3 Likes

At what point do these actions of Trump and his supporters become treason?

1 Like

Which is, of course, the goal of his sponsors/creditors in Moscow and his enablers (e.g. Bannon, Stone, etc.). Which goes to your question of treason.

16 Likes

This needs to be a font. You have capital L already…

2 Likes

What pains me most is that 17 states have joined the ridiculous case, which illuminates again just how beholden the mass of Republicans are to Trumpism. And “Trumpism” isnt even really about Trump, it’s just the logical outcome of the hyper-partisanship the GOP has been waging since Clinton. Facts don’t matter, solutions don’t matter, democracy doesn’t matter, only supporting the party matters, even if the party is controlled by a maniac…

11 Likes

None of the State AG’s supporting this petition believes it has the slightest chance of working. They know it’s complete bullshit but are doing it anyway, because none of them have the balls to be the next guy to break with Trump. They don’t know what Trump’s role in the party going forward is, and so they wait. It’s gutless, yes, but the end result is going to be the same.

8 Likes

Back when I lived in NJ in the ~80s-90s, there was one election for mayor of Newark (or maybe it was Elizabeth?) where both candidates were under indictment for corruption. Because, really, why would you want to vote for some amateur who doesn’t know where the money is? Even in my little 5000-person town of Keyport, the 28-year-old mayor managed to find a developer willing to pay $20K for a permit, and managed to stick his bagman with the bribery conviction while dodging it himself.

But yes, if Trump wants to claim that cheating invalidates the win, then all we have to do is investigate the red states and look for eligible voters who were blocked from registering or voting. Republicans cheated! We* win!

• (I’m a Libertarian, but I’ve had to caucus with the Democrats since Bush43. Oh, wait, if both the GOP and the Dems cheated, does that mean the Libertarians won? We’re the next biggest party, and we certainly don’t have the political influence to cheat!)
3 Likes

No, it means that nobody’s got enough electoral votes, which means it goes to the House, which means Trump wins.

1 Like

Like the Communist Party conference in 1937 applauding Stalin, no one dares to be the first to stop.

9 Likes

And no one had the good sense to install a bell.

2 Likes