Trump's Easter Egg Roll is shaping up to be a disaster

Guess they could always call United airlines for advice on how to handle groups of people.

13 Likes

I’m firmly anti-Trump. This easter egg roll thing sounds only vaguely familiar to me, so it didn’t register as something important. After reading this article, it still doesn’t seem “important.” This just seems like people piling on Herr Cheeto.

This is, however, one more glimpse into the general incompetence of the administration.

5 Likes

I’m sure they’ll find a way to fuck up the annual Christmas Tree lighting ceremony.

19 Likes

Ah, I see. So like Prom and Spring Fling and all those other institutionalized “fun” group activities…yeah hated those too.

I think the word I would have chosen would have been efficient.

To be fair I’m not sure they like pomp-and-circumstance no matter who does it.

@jer_j_morris I assumed this was the type of history an activity like this had and that’s great. Of course now it gets turned into a who’s who with live media coverage and it becomes a spectacle. It Trump said we having a cooking out, foods on us, bring your own eggs to roll, come and have a good time…then I might be for it. But like a lot of things today, more effort and attention are put into the presentation than the whole point of the activity. Then again maybe I’m just an old country fellow who thinks a lot of people can’t admire the forest they once did for all those damn trees.

1 Like

weeeellllll…

29 Likes

The ‘general incompetence’ thing is pretty much the story.

If he had just decided to cancel it, that would be irrelevant. The inability to even delegate ‘make that Easter thing do whatever it does’ to a passing minion is downright sloppy. That’s not good when your job involves actually important stuff from time to time.

31 Likes

First, Trump forgot to have a first lady in the White House, or is Melania planning to drop the eggs out of the window of Trump Tower? (An interesting Death by Chocolate variation.)

I wouldn’t count on that Turkey Pardon in November either.

18 Likes

Although that might sometimes be a good thing, I much prefer administrations that have religious events for multiple religions, and don’t try to play religious favorites in immigration legislation.

16 Likes

I hadn’t realized the egg roll was about you.

12 Likes

No thank you, I’m not a fan of cabbage.

Realistically I do pay taxes, so technically it is about me some tiny percentage above 0. I was simply expressing my viewpoint that activities like this performed by an entity that is funded by the group or whole seem like a waste of resources.

1 Like

Yeah, that happens when you elect an incompetent sociopath into a position he should never have gotten within a light year of. Traditions like this are a form of culture and bonding, and he’s utterly opposed to that in all its forms.

12 Likes

I don’t know what y’all are talking about. They’re going to have the biggest turn out, believe me, the biggest since Reagan. It’s going to be beautiful.

22 Likes

I have to agree with a lot of commenters here who are pointing out that you are using your emotions wrong if you care about this. Traditions, celebrations, and children having fun are all wasteful, so it’s good if people screw them up and make them run badly. The proper way to raise children is to calculate the precise number of calories they need to get through their daily drills on their future employment and give them that amount of soylent. Fun means extra calories burned and that means extra money, and for what?

50 Likes

Cancelled in lieu of the first official Presidential Turkey Execution.

20 Likes

If the president has the power to pardon people from death sentences, then by logic he also has the power to kill anyone he wants.

(I think this was in an Obama white house legal opinion on why drone strikes are cool)

17 Likes

The frivolity of it sort of IS the point. It’s a way of humanizing the President and his administration. Showing that even though they’re busy with running the country, they still care about the community and making some kids happy, and that there are some traditions and values that transcend politics (not necessarily the religious implications of Easter, more the spirit of togetherness and joy). Some presidents probably didn’t care about it and just used it as a cynical photo-op, some perhaps really did care about making kids happy, but the point is all of them at least cared how they looked to the public. Trump is the first one who’s pretty much impossible to humanize.

29 Likes

No smiles for Ayn.

5 Likes

He’ll probably pardon some turkeys, just not the avian kind though.

17 Likes

People say the exact same thing about the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities.

Expenditures don’t have to benefit the entire population directly to be worthwhile. Tell some of those kids having a blast getting to roll eggs down the White House Lawn! that this big special day they’ll never forget is just a waste of some subatomic fraction of your tax dollars.

27 Likes

Times have changed and I just don’t think it’s possible to have nice things like this anymore. The best possible outcome would have been for someone to carefully stage a meticulously-planned event with a handful of preselected children who might be persuaded, in the midst of having no fun at all, to smile for a couple of photos before quietly being hustled away. Even then there would be an avalanche of accusations about being faaaaake – but still, that is the best possible outcome.

6 Likes