Trump's "first 100 days" plan

OK, so I finally visited this thing on a PC after going on my phone. The phone and PC site are identical. This might as well have been made with squarespace.

1 Like

Worth a shot!

2 Likes

Judges, plural?

Only one spot is open; and Im praying for the good health of all of them.

5 Likes

Well, not Thomas or Alito. I don’t think Trump could do much worse.

Now watch him prove me wrong.

12 Likes

Ginsberg’s 83, but tough as nails. Let’s hope she can do it.

7 Likes

The judges on the liberal side aren’t getting any younger. RBG and Kennedy are in their 80s and Breyer is almost 80.

The big fear is another seat opening imminently from retirement or death.

11 Likes

Will people please STOP doing that, already?!?!

Have you learned nothing from this shit?

Do NOT sarcastically joke about the horrible fucked up shit that could ‘never happen’; because it totally fucking could.

11 Likes

FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;

I have no idea if this is a good idea or not.

SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);

Well that won’t help unemployment.

THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;

What counts as a single regulation?

I imagine there are a whole host of old regulations on the books that could be repealed so nothing actually in use today would need to be touched if Congress wanted to work around it but still claim a win.

FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.

Good.

FIRST, I will announce my intention to renegotiate NAFTA or withdraw from the deal under Article 2205

We’ll finally get to see what happens when you end free trade agreements.

SECOND, I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Ironically, the TPP is actually a renegotiation of NAFTA and several other of our free trade agreements so if you wanted to renegotiate NAFTA, this would be the place to do it.

THIRD, I will direct my Secretary of the Treasury to label China a currency manipulator

We’ll see what happens with this one. I imagine this is an excuse to stick large tariffs on Chinese imports, but which ones he chooses will determine if people see prices at Walmart go up. Will this start a trade war? I have a feeling Trump will have his bluff called, China will offer him something to save face, but with having nothing substantial changed.

FOURTH, I will direct the Secretary of Commerce and U.S. Trade Representative to identify all foreign trading abuses that unfairly impact American workers and direct them to use every tool under American and international law to end those abuses immediately

I mean, we do this already.

FIFTH, I will lift the restrictions on the production of $50 trillion dollars’ worth of job-producing American energy reserves, including shale, oil, natural gas and clean coal.
SIXTH, lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

This could actually spur the economy while at the same time hurt Russia and various Middle Eastern countries more than any war could. Coal isn’t coming back because it can’t compete with natural gas, but increases in oil production will really hurt oil-producing countries and frankly allow us to stop caring about dictatorial regimes in the middle east.

Of course, this depends on how much money dropping regulations saves. A lot of fracking operations right now can’t afford $36 a barrel oil.

SEVENTH, cancel billions in payments to U.N. climate change programs and use the money to fix America’s water and environmental infrastructure

Does anyone know what these programs are or how many billions we’re taking about? After all, a few billion is not really much for infrastructure projects.

FIRST, cancel every unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama

Wouldn’t a judge have done this already? I assume there are no unconstitutional ones left.

SECOND, begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

We can say goodbye abortion and gay marriage, but probably not until RBG or one of the other liberal judges leaves the court.

THIRD, cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities

Pretty sure this requires legislation.

FOURTH, begin removing the more than 2 million criminal illegal immigrants from the country and cancel visas to foreign countries that won’t take them back

You know, I’m not sure I have a problem with this if by criminal he means people who have committed a felony. I have no idea how other countries are going to react or even if many of them care, but at the same time they are responsible for their own citizens.

FIFTH, suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur. All vetting of people coming into our country will be considered extreme vetting.

Ban Muslims. Got it.

Middle Class Tax Relief And Simplification Act.

I guess we can finally see what happens when we really “starve the beast.”

End The Offshoring Act

I’m not sure I have any issues with this.

American Energy & Infrastructure Act.

As far as I can tell, this is a public infrastructure giveaway to private companies in return for making improvements. I’m a little confused as to what private companies he thinks have billions of dollars to spend on individual infrastructure projects however.

School Choice And Education Opportunity Act.

Since school funding is overwhelmingly at the local and state level, so I fail to see how this will work. Publicly funded religious schools will be found unconstitutional just like they have time and time again.

Repeal and Replace Obamacare Act. Fully repeals Obamacare and replaces it with Health Savings Accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines, and lets states manage Medicaid funds.

The best case scenario is the entire system implodes and we get to start over again.

Affordable Childcare and Eldercare Act

I mean. If the middle class was still doing ok, I could see this putting a lot of nannies to work, but as it is, it mostly helps the rich.

End Illegal Immigration Act

I’m guessing Trump will get a really good deal on concrete, but we’re not against Mongols from the 10th century here.

That said, jail for re-entering the country after previously being deported is strangely a better policy than the wall if you don’t mind even more prisons.

Restoring Community Safety Act

This isn’t a policy. This is funding for someone to think up a policy.

Restoring National Security Act

I’m not sure there is any amount of money we could spend on defense that would ever seem like “too much” for a lot of Americans. The military has become a stimulus system.

So maybe it is time to stop fighting it and instead task the military with some of our other problems. The military should now be in charge of the Interstate System, national parks and forests, building low-cost housing, NASA, Homeland Security, the NSF, etc.

Clean up Corruption in Washington Act.

Are there details about this other than ethics reform? Also, where is campaign financing?

1 Like

Melz – I apologize and will try to tone down the snark on this topic.

5 Likes

Congressional term limits are basically code for “keep Congress full of inexperienced people that can be more easily controlled by special interest groups.”

It completely dismisses the fact that if you don’t like your congressman, you’re free to vote for someone else in the next election.

11 Likes

You know I don’t mind snark; you know this.

But there’s a small part of me that believes that words can be spoken into existence if said often enough, and now I can’t stop thinking about every sarcastic joke I’ve heard in the last few years ironically referring to the Obnoxious Yam as ‘president.’

From John Oliver daring him to run a few years back, to Larry Wilmore making it a part of his nightly routine, to Trevor Noah’s vision of the aftermath of a Yam win.

That shit is haunting me now, and I cant help but wonder…

11 Likes

Do people still honestly don’t understand the language of the alt right yet? I can’t believe people are even trying to take this at it’s word.

2 Likes

It also guarantees that climate change will be even more destructive than it already would have been. Possible short-term jobs are in no way worth the destruction of our ability to live on this planet.

If we really wanted to hurt Russia and the Middle Eastern nations that rely on oil production, we would invest in developing renewable energy solutions that we could then sell to the rest of the world. Jobs, trade, and not destroying the planet!

Only, what will actually happen is that 20+ million people will lose their already-tenuous health insurance, thousands upon thousands of people will die unnecessarily, and millions more will lose everything they own after a single serious medical event while we wait for Congress to waste another 50 years avoiding the inevitability of the need for a nationalized health care system.

14 Likes

It also guarantees that climate change will be even more destructive than it already would have been. Possible short-term jobs are in no way worth the destruction of our ability to live on this planet.

Pumping more oil doesn’t necessarily mean using more oil. It might cause environmental damage to areas we’re pumping it from, but unless we start using more of it, it won’t have any effect on global warming.

Of course, prices dropping might cause the rest of the world to use more of it, but that’s not going to stop us from continuing to build out renewable energy where it is more cost effective than the alternatives.

Only, what will actually happen is that 20+ million people will lose their already-tenuous health insurance, thousands upon thousands of people will die unnecessarily, and millions more will lose everything they own after a single serious medical event while we wait for Congress to waste another 50 years avoiding the inevitability of the need for a nationalized health care system.

If it happens fast enough and the result is bad enough, I don’t think it’ll take 50 years. All it would take is one or two insurance companies going bankrupt.

Have you ever watched the Bodysnatchers? Like, right towards the end, when they’re so, so, so tired?

Lulz. It can’t all be evil - there will be sensible-ish stuff in there, because a real clown act couldn’t cut it. In the UK we have the Monster Raving Loony Party (or had - haven;t seen 'em around).

But yes - if Orangero proposes it, it’s bound to be mildly poisonous.

2 Likes

Well, there’s still the Yellowstone Caldera. One way to get rid of those pesky Red States.

5 Likes

Top men, I need all your top men (and women) working on this!

3 Likes

Every year we pump oil instead of transitioning off of it is another year of unacceptable carbon emissions that will wreak havoc on our society. Trump has absolutely no interest in investing in renewable energy because he thinks climate change is a Chinese hoax. Left to the private sector, we will never get off of oil. It’s the government’s responsibility to provide the impetus to force this transition before it becomes irrelevant, and under Trump, that flatly will not happen. Even the money already earmarked for climate change mitigation efforts is getting redirected if he gets his way. That’s not even establishing a holding pattern, that’s actively taking us backwards at a time when we already can’t afford to be moving forward as slowly as we have been.

You’ll forgive me if I’m not interested in gambling with the lives of my family and friends hoping that things “get bad enough fast enough” to spur Congress into action. If Republicans repeal the Affordable Care Act, people will die who would not have otherwise, for nothing more than a petty partisan bitch-fit over Obama taking their own health care reform plan and slapping a “hope and change” sticker on it. There is literally no space to the right of the Affordable Care Act for them to enact meaningful legislation, and they know it. They’ve had eight years to come up with their magical conservative replacement for Obamacare and “savings accounts” is the best shit they’ve been able to put together.

Not that I expect Republicans in Congress to actually bother even trying to put together a solution before ripping up the minuscule progress we’ve actually made. They just want to ruin anything Obama touched, and fuck anyone less well-connected than them who gets hurt along the way.

11 Likes

Trust me – I get it. I still apologize. :slight_smile:

I’m also recognizing my privilege here in that I have far less at stake than you (or any other woman, non-Christian, POC, or otherwise marginalized person or group) does from the things being discussed here.

9 Likes

This is true, but as others have pointed out any good in here is far outweighed by the pants shitting amount of terrible. It’s like saying “yeah this car accident left me a quadriplegic but at least I got a fancy new wheelchair out of it.”

11 Likes