Trump's Hamilton tweetstorm: calculated distraction from fraud settlement, or fragile mediocrity?

The last precise-ish figure I saw was 1.7 million votes; no idea where the 3 or 4 million would have come from.

I can’t wait for him to be interviewed by foreign press. BBC reporters don’t play.

9 Likes

Came here to see this particular jpg; was not disappointed!

11 Likes

It’s a known term: it describes people who THINK they’re so special and unique that they deserve special attention and privileges.

13 Likes

I assume that’s including 3rd party votes

2 Likes

It’s the beginning of a rude awakening for Trump. As a candidate he got to spend all his time basking in applause by saying asinine things to stupid people. As president he’s not going to get the respect he thinks he deserves. He going to be the object of relentless criticism, mockery, protest and obstruction—which is part of the territory for all presidents, but will be doubly true for him. Everything he does is going to be scrutinized, any failures will be broadcast, and in order to succeed he’s going to require the cooperation of seasoned politicians who don’t think that he belongs among them. As the Republicans try to “capture” him to further their own agenda, he’ll have Bannon and the rest of his lunatic advisers egging him on to quash dissent by force.

If he’s detached and flexible he can parlay early legislative victories into a strong leadership position, but if he maintains the bitter siege mentality and lashes out then we may be looking at impeachment or a coup. Pence might be his Frank Underwood…but that’s hardly a bright prospect for us. The best possible outcome may lie somewhere in the middle: he’s useful enough that they don’t oust him, but erratic enough that his presidency is so mired in scandal and controversy that it limits what he’s able to accomplish.

9 Likes

I don’t doubt. But nothing special was “invoked” those five times. The right to elect the president lies with the college, not with the people. Usually the votes fall the same way: sometimes they don’t.

It’s not massively different from British elections.Usually the party that wins the most votes gets the most seats and gets to form a government. But in 1951, for example, the Conservatives and their National Liberal allies got 200,000 votes fewer than Labour but still won an absolute majority of seats, resulting in Churchill’s return to Downing Street.

1 Like

Presented without comment:

17 Likes

But all those are constants. The dumb luck was from tribal changes in how some rural voters think of themselves. Neither campaign had anything to do with that - it was baked in a year or more in advance.

Exactly.

9 Likes

Have you seen the Channel 4 interview with Milo Y?

1 Like

Hmmm, is there a Trump-themed version of ‘Dixie’ yet?

You beat me to it.

1 Like

Or he’ll just decide not to be interviewed by foreign press. Problem solved!

Blind trusts, release of taxes and health records? Quaint relics of a simpler time.

8 Likes

Perfect example :joy: “Answer me!”

@Footface: I know, right? I mean, if you’re antagonistic towards American journalists, why let people from other countries ask you questions?

4 Likes

His supporters will deflect this by saying “Americans just need to come together. Trump speaks to Americans as one people and dosen’t devide them into small quarreling groups they way the previous president did.”

I’ve heard this said a number of times already — once by Jeff Sessions.

They are ready.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the Electoral College is again going to be the new topic of distraction to keep anything meaningful from changing. People will sound off about how we need to change it in spite of the fact it is baked into a system that is purposefully resistant to change.

What doesn’t get as much attention and can be more easily addressed is to fix the number of total representatives, which would consequently reapportion the number of votes in the Electoral College in a more representative manner. Having the same number of representatives for 300 million people as was used for just under 100 million a century ago is ridiculous.

9 Likes

Seems Trump and Pence are proving their membership in the elite privileged. They believe respect should be given, not earned.
Seems a common line with many politicians these days.

7 Likes

Les Deplorables

15 Likes

ITA. As a taxpayer from a northern city, I identify much more accurately than the current Tea Partiers with the revolutionary slogan “no taxation without representation”. They’re the ones benefiting from my taxes, and benefiting from my less-than-equitable representation at the federal level.

I chuckle every time I see a DC license plate. They put it front and center, so people can’t forget:

16 Likes

Dude, if that had been a setup, we’d have gone with Cats

3 Likes