Trump's new pandemic boss Scott Atlas pushes ‘herd immunity’ plan, 2 million+ Americans would have to die

Atlas has fashioned himself as the “anti-Dr. Fauci,”

Because of course. They define themselves by opposition. It’s all they know and have known for 40+ years. Name a GOP policy that wasn’t about reducing, removing or easing some existing legal structure vs improving or augmenting something.

Yeah, herd immunity has always been the plan because there was no plan.

Thanks to all the folks who just couldn’t vote for the email lady and the ones I saw in the news this morning who still think it’s a coin toss…

25 Likes

How soon before they just say, “ALL of the people would died from covid would have eventually died anyway. So we aren’t saving any lives, we’re just postponing death!”

Sounds like an SNL character but these days in Trump’s America there’s no parody.

15 Likes

“never said we wouldn’t get our hair mussed…”

8 Likes

Most responsible news/medical sites are using “excess mortality” numbers to get a handle on the real C19 toll. So this kind of parsing and sifting is on brand. Imagine these clowns at a plane crash investigation…no one would have died of the crash itself, they all had pre-existing conditions and simply all died at the same time in the same place.

17 Likes

It says something that I was some posts into the thread before I stopped seeing Scott Adams as the name. These assholes are really hard to tell apart. It’s almost like they all look the same!

17 Likes

I have heard that exact argument used in reference to the economy. Basically, they say we are ruining the economy in order to save people who’d die anyway, so why ruin the economy?

8 Likes

Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium, atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant. – Tacitus

16 Likes

Deserving of a multitude of likes.

3 Likes

giphy (39)

9 Likes

I like to call it the Himmler mindset.

6 Likes

As fucked up as it sounds, this is at least a step up from where the administration had been by sole virtue of being at least some kind of plan. It’s a shitty plan that will likely result in the unnecessary deaths of millions, but at least it’s something other than just insisting it will disappear one day via magical thinking.

3 Likes

Yeah - that’s totally ghoulish.

See what the economy does with the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of “long-haulers” and their ongoing medical requirements.

The thing most of the reporting is missing is that this is not just about death. There are long-term (possibly permanent) consequences to contracting this thing.

13 Likes

Somehow I prefer no plan at all.

11 Likes

There are probably enough lobbyists from the healthcare industry to spin that as a positive, too.

4 Likes

Well, to be fair, this is, in fact “no plan” masquerading as a plan, so maybe it’s the worst of all worlds.

6 Likes

:frowning: So true it hurts.

2 Likes

And this is what the Republican billionaire owner class wants them to hear.

6 Likes

It is a plan, a genocide disguised with a fig leaf of natural diaster. It’s not the first time in history it is done this way:

15 Likes

Reminiscent of…

15 Likes

I fail to see any meaningful difference.

4 Likes