Trump's rioters openly planned attack on Capitol for weeks, but FBI and other federal agencies did little

I don’t have the funds for it, but I love the idea of a gun-control protest where we get a rag tag group (but mostly old grandmotherly types) to march into an active session, all with AK 47s strapped across them and wearing body armor, and take position around the gallery chanting, “this. Should not. Be legal.”

7 Likes

And Capitol police taking selfies with the terrorists.

15 Likes

Here is the DC Metro Police web site seeking help IDing rioters from pictures:

Page through the “persons of interest” list:

4 Likes

Man, if only someone could have foreseen this. Oh, right, they did. E.g.:

There’s a really interesting thread from the daughter of a former Capitol Hill police officer, on what they do when they’re serious about security (i.e. Black people are expected to be there), something which clearly wasn’t the case here. It really says it all. So, so maddening:

18 Likes

This one in the thread:

I’m pretty relieved that it was only 4 deaths, with only one of those people being shot (breaking into the capitol). Things could have been much worse.

12 Likes

And white. Never forget that. White privilege in open display, although a shocking number of people don’t seem to see it. Any non-white group gathering there would have been faced with much more firepower than these idiots.

11 Likes

You gotta’ give the guy a break. He is the representative of a powerful police union so naturally anarchy and police impunity and immunity are at the top of his agenda.

Yeah, especially since the goal for some of them was to take congressmembers prisoner, hold “trials” and execute them. Some people were equipped for that. If congress hadn’t been evacuated, it would have been ugly. Plus, the whole bombs thing, which could have gone very badly…

12 Likes

Hmm…

14 Likes

Some coverage I have read said that Capitol police declined offers of National Guard assistance as recently as January 3rd:

8 Likes

I’m guessing that the congressmembers of color who were democratic would be first members tried.

12 Likes

I believe they would have specifically targeted the Squad and Bernie Sanders along with Pelosi and Schumer. Democratic POC, women and LGBTQ+ would have been next.

I think it’s time I took a break, the horror of the situation is getting to me even though I am an ocean away.

12 Likes

I’ve been wondering about that. They’re logical targets, given who these rioters are (i.e. Nazis), but Trump and others have heavily focused their ire on fellow Republicans, as they’re trying to terrorize them into going along with Trump. So the Democrats don’t get talked about much relative to this scenario - they’re basically the Romans, whereas dissenting Republicans are Judas. That “betrayal” caries a lot of emotional weight. So it’s hard to predict how it would have gone.

Either way, Republican congresscritters would be foolish to think they’re safe right now.

6 Likes

The outside perspective, albeit from people familiar with Capitol security procedures, seems to support this view.

Make no mistake, this has direct consequences for America’s standing in the world.

12 Likes

Damn! That Business Insider article really laid it all out. This NEVER could have happened without inside help. Has Congress at least united for starting an investigation into this?

2 Likes

Take care of yourself!

10 Likes

Trump told the Proud Boys to stand by; he told the National Guard to stand down.

6 Likes

And the Capitol Police chief who resigned, effective on the 16th, will then quietly collect his 440 hours of remaining sick time.
I think that should go to all the injured officers and the family of the one killed.
I’m no fan of the cops, but fuck that guy for leaving his employees in the lurch like that.

3 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.